Burmese Yellow Split Pea Fritters (Baya Kyaw)
Crispy, spicy and flavorful, these Burmese yellow split pea fritters can be served as appetizers or the main course with your favorite dipping sauce.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time5 mins
Total Time20 mins
Servings: 16 2-inch patties
- 1 cup dried yellow split peas ,rinsed and soaked overnight and throughly drained and patted dry
- 1 medium yellow onions ,finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 red chili pepper ,minced (remove seeds if you prefer it not spicy)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons fresh minced ginger root
- 2 cloves garlic ,minced
- Oil for frying
Place all of the ingredients in a food processor. Make sure the peas have been thoroughly drained otherwise the mixture will be too wet. Pulse the ingredients to form a semi-smooth and gritty paste with some chunks of peas. Do not over-process.
Form the mixture into patties (they will very moist). Cover and refrigerate the patties for at least 3 hours or overnight.
Heat some oil in a frying pan and fry the patties on both sides until golden brown.
Serve with your choice of dipping sauce or use as a Burmese-style falafel with pita bread, veggies and a yogurt sauce.
Calories: 46kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 3g | Sodium: 220mg | Potassium: 142mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 80IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 9mg | Iron: 0.6mg