This delicious cherry sauce is the perfect accompaniment for your cheesecake, rice pudding, ice cream and more!
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time15 mins
- 1 1/2 cups canned cherries plus 1/2 cup of the light syrup from the can or fresh or frozen cherries plus 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter vegans: use an oil-based spread
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon quality pure almond extract
Place the cherries and the syrup or water in a small saucepan along with the sugar, butter and lemon juice. Bring to a boil. If using fresh or frozen cherries, reduce the heat and simmer for another 3 minutes. Stir in the cornstarch mixture, stirring continually until the sauce is thickened, about 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in the almond extract.
Store in the fridge for up to a week.
Serve warm or at room temperature.
Serving: 0.25cup | Calories: 71kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 4mg | Sodium: 16mg | Potassium: 45mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 400IU | Vitamin C: 1.7mg | Calcium: 10mg | Iron: 0.7mg