BEST Chinese Orange Chicken
Tender, crispy, battered, chicken smothered in a deliciously fresh, sweet and tangy orange sauce. This Chinese Orange Chicken rivals your favorite takeout!
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time20 mins
- 2 chicken breasts ,cut into 1/2 inch pieces (vegetarian/vegan: see instructions below recipe box and picture)
- 2 egg whites (vegetarian/vegan: omit and follow instructions below recipe box and picture)
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sherry or rice vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger ,minced and reserved for later
- 1 teaspoon garlic ,minced and reserved for later
- For the sauce:
- 1 1/2 cup strong chicken broth (vegetarian/vegan: use vegetable broth)
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 2 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- low sugar/diabetic substitute
- 2 red chiles ,broken up and seeds discarded (or 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes) - we recommend using gloves
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 cup green onions ,chopped
- Fresh orange slices ,optional
To make the sauce, stir together all ingredients, except for the garlic, ginger, green onions and orange slices. Set aside.
Combine the egg whites, cornstarch, salt, sherry, baking powder and baking soda in a medium bowl and stir to combine. Pour over chicken in a sealable plastic bag and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Remove the chicken pieces from the bag, shake off the excess liquid, and give them another roll in some cornstarch (this will create a thicker coating).
Heat some high-heat, neutral-tasting on high in a wok, deep fryer, or heavy skillet and carefully lower the chicken into the oil. Fry until crispy golden brown on all sides. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the chicken pieces to paper towels to absorb the oil.
Reduce the heat to medium-high and add another teaspoon or so of oil to the saucepan or wok. Saute the ginger and garlic for 30 seconds, then add the sauce. Bring the sauce to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the chicken pieces (or prepared tofu) and green onions to the sauce, stir to coat, and bring the sauce to a low simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Serve immediately with steamed rice and fresh orange slices (optional).
Calories: 440kcal | Carbohydrates: 71g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 72mg | Sodium: 854mg | Potassium: 720mg | Sugar: 54g | Vitamin A: 330IU | Vitamin C: 47.3mg | Calcium: 51mg | Iron: 1.3mg