Lemon Millet Fig Cake with Walnuts and Candied Ginger
Packed full of whole grains, nuts, fruits, honey, healthy oils and made without refined sugars, this hearty cake will satisfy the sweet tooth without all the guilt!
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time45 mins
Servings: 12 servings
- 1 1/2 cups spelt or whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup raw honey
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon pure lemon extract
- 3 teaspoons fresh lemon zest
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (or whole milk with 1 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar stirred in and left to sit for 5-10 minutes)
- 1 cup cooked millet, cooled (can substitute quinoa)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 1/4 cups chopped dried figs
- 1/4 cup chopped candied ginger
- For the Honey Lemon Glaze:
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a bowl and set aside.
In a separate bowl, beat the eggs with the honey and olive oil then add the vanilla, lemon extract and lemon zest.
Beating just until combined between additions, add half of the flour mixture, then half of the buttermilk and repeat. Be careful not to over-beat. Stir in the millet, chopped figs, candied ginger and walnuts. The batter will be very thick.
Spread the batter into a greased 8x8 inch pan.Bake for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Heat the honey and lemon juice for 30 seconds on HIGH in the microwave.Use a fork to pierce holes throughout the cake.While the cake is still hot, pour the warmed honey over the cake, using a knife to evenly guide it.Let the cake sit for about 10 minutes and then cut into squares and serve while still warm.
Calories: 280kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 28mg | Sodium: 165mg | Potassium: 219mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 24g | Vitamin A: 55IU | Vitamin C: 1.3mg | Calcium: 63mg | Iron: 1.7mg