Quick to make and phenomenally delicious, this Mongolian Chicken rivals your favorite Chinese restaurant or takeout!
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time5 mins
Total Time10 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 lb chicken breast or thighs cut into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch for coating
- 2 tablespoons high heat cooking oil (I recommend avocado oil as a healthy high heat-friendly oil)
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger ,minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic ,minced
- 2 bunches green onions ,cut into 2 inch pieces, white parts kept separate
- For the Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce (a critical ingredient)
- OR Best Homemade Hoisin Sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ½ cup water
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- ½ cup brown sugar
Combine the sauce ingredients in a bowl, stirring until the cornstarch and brown sugar are dissolved, and set aside.
Sprinkle the cut up chicken with the cornstarch and toss to coat.
Heat a wok or heavy frying pan over high heat. Once hot, add the oil.
Add the chicken and fry until cooked through, about one minute. Add the garlic and ginger and fry for another 30 seconds.
Add the sauce and white parts of the green onions and simmer until thickened, about a minute. Add the remaining green onions, stir to coat and remove from heat (the green onions should remain a little crispy).
Serve immediately with steamed rice.
Calories: 356kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 72mg | Sodium: 1334mg | Potassium: 539mg | Sugar: 29g | Vitamin A: 95IU | Vitamin C: 3.1mg | Calcium: 44mg | Iron: 1.4mg