BEST Homemade Cheeseburger Macaroni (Hamburger Helper Copycat)
No junk ingredients and tastes WAY better than store-bought!
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time20 mins
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 small onion ,finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour (Gluten Free: dissolve 1 tablespoon cornstarch in the beef broth)
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 3/4 cup natural non-MSG beef broth
- 2 cups dried whole wheat elbow macaroni pasta
- (Gluten Free: Use GF Macaroni)
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and brown the ground beef until no pink remains. Add the onions and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste, seasonings and flour. Pour in the milk and broth and stir. Stir in the macaroni.
Bring to a boil then reduce to medium-low, cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until the macaroni is done. For al dente check after 9 minutes.
Stir in the Cheddar cheese until melted.
Serve immediately garnished with some chopped fresh parsley if desired.
Calories: 565kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 31g | Fat: 33g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Cholesterol: 101mg | Sodium: 905mg | Potassium: 685mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 925IU | Vitamin C: 3.1mg | Calcium: 398mg | Iron: 3.4mg