French Lentil Soup
Travel the French countryside with your tastebuds! This soup is deep and delicious with layers of flavors that will keep you happy the whole meal through.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time45 mins
Total Time1 hr
Servings: 6 servings
- 4 ounces bacon ,diced
- 1 medium yellow onion ,chopped
- 2 cloves garlic ,minced
- 2 medium carrots ,diced
- 1/2 medium celeriac ,aka celery root, diced
- 1 large leek ,chopped, thoroughly rinsed and drained
- 6 cups quality chicken broth
- 1 cup French Le Puy lentils ,aka French lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
In a stock pot cook the bacon over medium-high heat until done. Add the onions and cook until soft and translucent and golden, 7-10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Add the celeriac, leek and carrots and cook for another 4-5 minutes or until beginning to soften. Add the lentils and cook for another minute or two. Add all remaining ingredients except for the parsley and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
Stir in the parsley and add salt and pepper to taste.
Calories: 254kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 12mg | Sodium: 1448mg | Potassium: 825mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 78% | Vitamin C: 37.9% | Calcium: 8.3% | Iron: 22.3%