German Potato Soup
This delicious, authentic German Potato Soup is packed full of veggies and TONS of flavor - It will satisfy both body and soul!
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time45 mins
- 8 ounces bacon ,diced
- 1 large onion ,chopped
- 1 clove garlic ,minced
- 2 pounds waxy potatoes ,chopped into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 large leek ,sliced and thoroughly washed
- 3 carrots ,diced
- 1 1/2 cups diced celeriac (aka, celery root)
- 2 tomatoes ,diced
- 6 cups quality chicken broth (I use and recommend Aneto)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Fry the bacon then add the onion and cook until golden, 6-8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Add all remaining ingredients except for the parsley. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 30-40 minutes.
Add the parsley and simmer for another minute. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Note: This is a great make-ahead soup as the flavor is even better the next day!
Calories: 327kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 5g