BEST General Tso's Chicken
Perfectly crispy coated chicken is tossed in a deliciously sweet and spicy sauce and served with steamed rice. Ready in less than 30 minutes and better than the takeout version, for spicy food lovers General Tso's Chicken is totally irresistible!
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time25 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- For the Marinade:
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- For the Coating:
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour gluten free: substitute GF flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- For the Sauce:
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Chinese rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 3 tablespoons white granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 large cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 6 small dried red chilies seeded and broken into pieces
- 3 green onions cut into 1 inch pieces
- High heat oil for deep frying
Place the chicken in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Set aside.
In a small bowl, whisk the marinade ingredients together and then pour over the cubed chicken. Stir to thoroughly coat and set aside.
Combine the sauce ingredients and stir until the sugar and cornstarch are dissolved. Set aside.
Pick up the chicken pieces and shake off the excess marinade, then dredge the pieces in the cornstarch coating mixture, shaking off the excess.
Working in batches, deep fry the chicken in oil heated to 375ºF until the chicken is cooked through, golden brown and crispy, about 3-4 minutes. Place the chicken on paper towels to drain.
Heat the tablespoon of oil in a wok or large heavy frying pan over medium-high heat. Fry the garlic, ginger and red chilies for about 30 seconds until fragrant. Add the sauce and simmer until thickened. Add the fried chicken and stir to thoroughly coat. Simmer for a minute until the chicken has absorbed the sauce but is still crispy. Stir in the green onions.
Serve immediately with steamed rice and broccoli (traditional in many takeout places).
Calories: 484kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 42g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 2g