PERFECT Homemade Hummus Recipe
This homemade hummus recipe beats anything you'll ever buy in the store. Rich in flavor, luxuriously creamy, and super easy to make, you're going to love it!
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time1 hr 30 mins
Total Time1 hr 45 mins
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 cup dried garbanzo beans/chickpeas ,rinsed then soaked overnight
- 1/2 cup Homemade Tahini Paste
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2-3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1-2 cloves garlic , roughly chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt , plus more to taste
- Reserved cooking water from the garbanzo beans
- Extra olive oil for garnish
- Paprika for garnish
- Chopped parsley or cilantro for garnish
Drain and rinse the garbanzo beans. Place in a pot with water and bring to a boil. Add a teaspoon of baking soda if you're prone to gas. Reduce the heat to medium, cover, and cook for 1 to 1 1/2 hours until the beans are very soft. Drain and let cool.
Place the garbanzo beans in a food processor until no large chunks remain. Add the tahini paste, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, cumin and salt and process until smooth. Add some of the reserved cooking water, a little at a time, as needed until the desired consistency is reached. Add salt to taste.
Transfer to a serving bowl and make some swirly divets on the top. Drizzle some olive oil over it, sprinkle with some paprika and chopped fresh parsley if desired. Serve with toasted pita wedges, vegetables or crackers.
Store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Calories: 321kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 209mg | Potassium: 383mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 35IU | Vitamin C: 4.3mg | Calcium: 63mg | Iron: 3.1mg