Ultimate Pozole Rojo
One of the most iconic Mexican dishes, this "ultimate" Pozole Rojo is PACKED with deliciously bold and robust flavors that will absolutely WOW your taste buds!
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time4 hrs 20 mins
Total Time4 hrs 50 mins
Servings: 10 servings
- 3 pounds pork shoulder, rubbed with salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lard or oil
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin (recommended: roast whole cumin seeds then grind them to a powder)
- 4 cups Aneto 100% All Natural Chicken Broth
- 4 cups Homemade Authentic Enchilada/Red Chile Sauce (do not substitute store-bought)
- 2 teaspoons dried Mexican oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3 large bay leaves
- 3 15 ounce cans white hominy, drained
- 2 tablespoons masa harina
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- For toppings: Shredded green cabbage, sliced red radishes, diced avocados, sliced limes, chopped fresh cilantro, toasted tortilla strips, crema, and anything else your heart desires!
Rub the pork down with a little salt and some freshly ground black pepper. Heat the lard/oil over high heat in a heavy stock pot or Dutch oven and sear the pork on all sides until nicely browned. Remove and set aside.
Lower the heat to medium-high and add the onions, cooking until lightly browned. Add the garlic and cumin and cook for another minute.
Return the pork roast and add the chicken broth. Add the Homemade Authentic Red Chile Sauce along with the bay leaves, salt, pepper, Mexican oregano and smoked paprika.Simmer covered over low heat for 2-3 hours or until the roast is fork tender and falls apart. Transfer the roast to a plate and use two forks to shred the meat.Return the shredded pork to the pot, stir in the masa harina and add the drained hominy.Simmer covered for another hour. Stir in the cilantro and simmer another 5 minutes. Add more salt and pepper to taste.
Serve garnished with shredded green cabbage, sliced red radishes, diced avocado, sliced limes, chopped cilantro, etc. Want some crunch? Add some toasted tortilla strips.
To Make This In The Slow Cooker:Follow steps 1 and 2 as directed and then transfer everything to a slow cooker in step 3. Cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or on HIGH for 4-6 hours.
Serving: 10servings | Calories: 255kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 55mg | Sodium: 647mg | Potassium: 402mg | Fiber: 5g