Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup
A creamy, flavor-packed chicken soup infused with Mexican spices and topped with crunchy tortilla chips, sour cream and shredded cheese - it's the ultimate comfort soup!
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time40 mins
- Shredded chicken from 1 large chicken breast (1-1 1/2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small yellow onions ,chopped
- 1 clove garlic ,minced
- 2 tablespoons masa harina
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups good quality chicken broth (see pictured instructions in blog post for making homemade chicken broth out of the chicken breast - since you're cooking the chicken anyway, make some excellent broth out of it!)
- 1 12 oz can evaporated milk
- 1 1/4 cup salsa
- 1 15 oz can whole kernel corn
- 1 15 oz can black beans (drained and rinsed to prevent soup discoloration)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ancho chili powder
- or Best Homemade Chili Powder (recommended)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro ,chopped
- sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, cilantro and tortilla chips for serving
Heat the butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat and saute the onion until tender, about 7 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for another minute.
Add the masa harina and flour and stir to combine. Cook for 1 minute. Gradually add the broth, whisking constantly to prevent clumping. Add the evaporated milk and simmer until slightly thickened.
Add the shredded chicken, salsa, corn, beans, and all the spices. Stir to combine, bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the shredded cheese, sour cream, and cilantro, stir to combine and warm through for another minute. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve hot topped with sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, chopped fresh cilantro and crumbled tortilla chips.
Note: Leftovers will be thicker when reheated. Add some extra chicken broth or milk accordingly.