French Almond Plum Cake
This delicious rustic-elegant French Almond Plum Cake features a delightfully delicate crumb infused with the flavor of almonds and the moistness of juicy plums that gently seep into the cake while baking. It's easy to make, works equally well with apricots or cherries, and is a guaranteed hit wherever you serve it!
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time1 hr
Total Time1 hr 18 mins
Servings: 10 servings
- 12 medium plums (eg, Italian) OR apricots or cherries , washed and pitted
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter , room temperature
- 2 large eggs , room temperature
- 1 teaspoon quality pure almond extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest , finely grated
- 1 teaspoon quality pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sliced (or slivered) almonds
- light dusting of powdered sugar (optional)
- crème fraîche or whipped cream for serving (optional)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 8-10 inch springform (depending on how tall you want the cake. Bake a few minutes less if using 10 inch).
Place the halved stone fruits in a bowl with the lemon juice, 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar and stir to combine. Set aside. In a small bowl combine the flour, almond flour, baking powder, and salt. In a separate medium bowl beat the butter and sugar together. Add the eggs, almond extract, vanilla extract and beat until smooth. Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture along with the lemon zest and beat until combined.
Spoon the batter into the greased springform and spread it evenly. Place the stone fruits on top of the batter skin side up leaving a little space in between each fruit. Sprinkle with flaked or slivered almonds. Bake for one hour. Remove and let cool completely. Remove the rim of the springform pan.
If desired lightly dust the cake with some powdered sugar. Serve the cake as is or with a dollop of whipped cream of crème fraîche.
Calories: 283kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 57mg | Sodium: 73mg | Potassium: 206mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 29g | Vitamin A: 604IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 44mg | Iron: 1mg