Italian Zucchini Fritters
These easy-to-make fritters are an absolutely delicious way to enjoy zucchini!
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time25 mins
Servings: 12 fritters
- 2 pounds zucchini washed and grated and tossed in a bowl with 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian herbs basil, rosemary, oregano, etc
- 1/3 cup unbleached all-purpose flour GF: use gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Oil for frying
Let the grated zucchini tossed with the salt sit for about 30 minutes, then thoroughly wring out as much liquid as you possibly can (key for achieving crispy fritters). One method is to place the grated zucchini in a clean dish towel and wring out the liquid that way.
Stir in the eggs, onions, garlic and herbs. Then stir in the flour, Parmesan and spices.
Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot drop about 3 heaping tablespoons of batter per fritter in the skillet and fry on both sides until nicely browned. Place the fried fritters on paper towels to drain. Serve immediately while crispy. Serve with a dollop of sour cream and a sprig of fresh herb for garnish.
Serving: 1fritter | Calories: 51kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 30mg | Sodium: 56mg | Potassium: 245mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 320IU | Vitamin C: 16mg | Calcium: 58mg | Iron: 1mg