This wonderful creamy cabbage soup recipe is PACKED with flavor and is sure to become a family favorite!
This cabbage soup starts with a base of delicious homemade cream of celery soup and builds on from there, incorporating ingredients that were simply meant for each other. The cream of celery soup can also be prepared in advance to save time.
As I mentioned in my previous post for Spelt Buttermilk Biscuits, I recently made a delicious, creamy comfort soup to serve with them. Here is the recipe, as promised!
Do you remember that wonderful Homemade Cream of Celery Soup I posted a while back? The one that’s been getting rave reviews? I actually developed that soup in conjunction with this one and both turned out marvelous. Don’t be turned off from making this one thinking you have to make two soups to create one. You simply make the cream of celery soup (fast and easy) and then add the cabbage, kielbasa and seasonings and you’re done. And the cream of celery soup can be made in advance and even frozen for convenience.
This Creamy Cabbage and Kielbasa Soup is sure to warm your family’s hearts and tummies!
Let’s get started!
Prepare the batch of Homemade Cream of Celery Soup.
Dice the carrots and finely chop the cabbage.
By now you have that marvelous Homemade Cream of Celery Soup done.
Add the carrots and cabbage to the cream of celery soup.
Add the milk, cream and chicken stock mixed with flour.
Add the glorious kielbasa.
Add all the seasonings. Bring the soup to a boil, reduce the heat to medium and simmer, uncovered (to further thicken the soup) for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Enjoy! This soup tastes even better the next day when the flavors have had more time to meld.
Creamy Cabbage Soup with Kielbasa
- 1 batch Homemade Cream of Celery Soup (click link for recipe), can be made ahead of time
- 14 ounces kielbasa ,sliced in 1/8 inch rounds
- 1 medium head green cabbage ,about 3 pounds, chopped
- 1 large carrot ,diced
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream or half and half
- 1 cup chicken broth mixed with 2 tablespoons flour ,make sure it's dissolved
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Add the cabbage, carrot and kielbasa to the Homemade Cream of Celery Soup along with the milk, cream, chicken broth, and seasonings, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. (Note: Once the soup is adequately thickened you can cover the soup for the remaining cooking time.)
- Serve hot. This soup tastes even better the next day.