Thank you to Castello for sponsoring this post!
If you enjoy traditional cornbread or corn cakes these are a “must try.” The combination of a high class European cheese with all the goodness of down-to-earth, traditional home-style Southern cooking makes these Havarti Dill Corn Cakes the perfect hors d’oeuvres for either a casual or formal entertainment setting.
And they’re just downright yummy and fun to make!
I love cheese. Prepared every which way. I’ve now tried five different kinds of cheese from Castello and their products “wow” me every time. I’m fully committed to trying every one of their cheeses. They’re that good. Most recently I featured their Aged Havarti in my Blonde French Onion Soup and it was a hit.
Today we’re using their Creamy Havarti. It has a delicious buttery aroma with just the right hint of sweetness and touch of tanginess. It’s creamy texture lends itself perfectly for melting, especially when shredded.
All of these qualities made it the perfect candidate for these corn cakes.
Super easy, quick, cute and delicious – that’s always a winning combination!
The sweetness of the corn combined with the creamy cheese, savory dill, and dollop of tangy creme fraiche will have you and your guests reaching for more.
Let’s get started!
Combine the cornmeal, flour, baking soda, salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl.
Add the buttermilk, eggs and butter and beat just until combined.
Stir in the corn, dill, cheese and green onions.
Heat a griddle to medium-high heat and lightly spray with cooking oil. Scoop heaping tablespoons onto the griddle (1/4 cup if you’re making full-sized corn cakes) and cook on each side until golden brown.
If serving as hors d’oeuvres, arrange the mini corn cakes on a serving platter with a dollop of creme fraiche (or sour cream) and a sprig of fresh dill.
The Havarti Dill Corn Cakes are ready to serve!
- 1 cup fine or medium ground cornmeal
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup corn kernels, coarsely chopped in a food processor
- 1 cup shredded Castello Creamy Havarti cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- ¼ cup chopped green onions
- Creme fraiche (or sour cream) for serving
- Sprigs of fresh dill for garnish
- Combine the cornmeal, flour, baking soda, salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl. Add the buttermilk, eggs and butter and beat just until combined. Stir in the corn, cheese, dill, and green onions.
- Heat a griddle to medium-high heat and lightly spray with cooking oil.
- Scoop heaping tablespoons onto the griddle (1/4 cup for full-sized corn cakes) and cook on each side until golden brown.
- If serving as hors d'oeuvres, arrange the mini corn cakes on a serving platter with a dollop of creme fraiche and a sprig of fresh dill.
Thank you to Castello for sponsoring this post.