Thank you to New Seasons Market for sponsoring this post!
Is there anything more swoon-worthy than a waffle cone dripping with ice cream or a loaded ice cream sundae?
I can totally relate to one of my favorite actresses, Ginger Rogers, when she said: “My love for ice cream emerged at an early age – and has never left!”
Author Thornton Wilder put it this way: “My advice to you is not to inquire why or whither, but just enjoy your ice cream while it’s on your plate — that’s my philosophy.”
Musician Del Shannon summed it up like this: “I eat ice cream. It’s better than booze.”
I love all flavors of ice cream. You name it, I love it. Well…unless it’s something totally weird like foie gras ice cream or lobster ice cream. (Yes, those really exist.) But any downright ghastly flavors aside, I love them all.
And there is only one thing better than eating your favorite ice cream and that’s finding your favorite ice cream on sale for 50% off! Thanks to New Seasons Market, that’s exactly what’s happening and I’ve been stocking up.
As part of their Stars of Summer series, New Seasons Market has the coolest ice cream promotion ever going on right now.
Every week between now and September, New Season’s Market is featuring a different brand of ice cream for half price! Kickstarting the series last week was Haagen Dazs and I was able to scoop up some of my favorite flavors for just $2.74 a pint!
Their awesome sales and promotions are just one of the many reasons I love shopping at New Seasons (be sure to check out my article about New Seasons Market). I also love the fact that, along with all of your favorite national brands, they put a huge emphasis on carrying and supporting local brands. So among the Summer of Scoops selections you’ll also find some terrific local brands of ice cream!
Mark your calendars, my friends, here’s what you have to look forward to:
June 30-July 4 Haagen Dazs
July 7-9 Alden’s
July 14-16 SoDelicious
July 21-23 Ben & Jerry’s
July 28-31 Coconut Bliss
August 4-6 McConnell’s
August 11-13 Julie’s Organic
August 18-20 Talenti
August 25-27 Tillamook
September 1-4 Three Twins
In celebration of ice cream, one of the world’s greatest inventions, I’m sharing a delicious caramel sauce with you that pairs beautifully with a variety of ice cream flavors. It’s the ice cream topping my kids request the most – it’s easy to make and simply irresistible! None of that nasty corn syrup stuff – just pure butter, cane sugar and cream.
And as if you need an excuse to eat it, here are a few more ways to put this luscious caramel sauce to use: Cinnamon rolls, brownies, apple pie, cheesecake, scones, bread pudding, pancakes and fresh apples slices!
Look no further, this is everything a caramel sauce should be!
- 1 cup cane sugar
- 1/4 cup cold water
- ½ cup heavy cream warmed briefly in the microwave
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon quality pure vanilla extract
- Small pinch of salt see Note
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the sugar and water, stirring to combine.
- Simmer until the syrup has turned a dark golden color, about 10-12 minutes. A candy thermometer isn't necessary, but it's helpful. For a thick but pourable sauce your candy thermometer should read about 230 degree F. For a little thinner sauce aim for 225 degrees F.
- Once the caramel is ready, whisk in the warm cream and simmer for another couple of minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in the butter, vanilla extract and salt. Serve warm or keep stored in the refrigerator. To reheat it, simply heat it up briefly in the microwave.
* Want a salted caramel sauce? Simply increase the salt to 3/4 teaspoon.
* This caramel sauce can be made in advance and stored in the fridge, covered tightly, for up to 2 weeks.
A special thank you to New Seasons Market for sponsoring this post and to my readers for supporting the brands and businesses that help make The Daring Gourmet possible!