There are so many ways to enjoy this popular and versatile sauce. And with only 5 ingredients and 5 minutes of prep/cook time, this delicious Sweet and Sour Sauce recipe couldn’t be simpler!
Get ready for a fast, simple, and deeeelicious Sweet & Sour Sauce!
This sweet and sour sauce is perfect as a dipping sauce for potstickers, egg rolls, chicken nuggets and anything else your heart desires. Use also to incorporate into your favorite Chinese dishes like sweet & sour chicken, pork or shrimp, sweet & sour meatballs, Asian salad dressings, and as a glaze for grilled chicken and pork, etc.
BEFORE WE GET TO THE RECIPE
DON’T FORGET TO TRY THESE OTHER GREAT CHINESE CONDIMENTS:
Ready to make some Sweet and Sour Sauce?
Let’s get started!
Add all of the ingredients except for the cornstarch slurry in a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
Stir in the cornstarch slurry and simmer for another minute until thickened.
You can stop at this point or, if you want, you can add 2-3 drops of food coloring to make your sweet and sour sauce look the way it does at the Chinese takeout. Check out this all-natural food coloring.
Let the sauce cool completely.
Best Sweet and Sour Sauce
- 1 cup canned pineapple juice ,see note
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- OR sugar-free brown sugar substitute
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar ,found in the Asian or general vinegar section of any grocery store, or you can substitute apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari (GF)
- For the Cornstarch Slurry: 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch dissolved in 2 tablespoons water
- Optional: 2-3 drops all-natural red food coloring (the one I've linked to is natural, colored with beets. It's in powdered form, simply add a bit of powder for color)
- Place all of the ingredients, except for the cornstarch slurry, in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Stir in the cornstarch slurry and simmer for another minute until thickened, stirring constantly. If using red food coloring, stir it in.
- Let the sauce cool completely and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 weeks.