A highly fragrant and flavorful pain d’épices blend to give your gingerbread creations an authentic French flavor!
When it comes to spice and seasoning blends the old adage was never more true: Homemade is always BEST!
This pain d’épices blend (French gingerbread spice mix) comes together in just a snap and you can have it on hand whenever you need it. Use this blend in any recipe calling for gingerbread seasonings for an authentic French flavor.
Wonderfully aromatic and flavorful, use this seasoning to create your own gingerbread-flavored baked goods like muffins, cakes, cookies, pancakes, waffles and more!
And of course, you GOT to use this blend to make these iconic Nonnettes (French Gingerbread Cakes)!
Pain d’Epices Spice Blend Recipe
Let’s get started!
Place the ground and whole spices in a coffee or spice grinder and grind until it’s a smooth powder. Your French gingerbread spice blend is ready in a snap!
Keep your pain d’épices spice blend in an airtight jar away from direct sunlight or hot temperatures. Best used within a few months but for optimal flavor use within a couple of weeks.
Pain d'Epices Spice Blend
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 4 whole star anise
- 4 whole green cardamoms , seeds removed (shells discarded)
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground mace
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon anise seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- Place all the spices in a coffee or spice grinder and grind until it's a smooth powder. Store in an airtight jar away from direct sunlight or hot temperatures. Best used within a few months but for optimal flavor use within a couple of weeks. Makes about 4 tablespoons.
Gael P. says
I grind my cardamom from organic seeds. Would that be a good sub for the green pods?
Kimberly @ The Daring Gourmet says
Hi Gael, you don’t use the outer green pod. Remove the seeds from the pod and discard the pod.