Ready in 30 minutes, this dish is quick and easy to prepare, looks elegant and tastes delicious!
If you like oranges, this is the dish for you! This dish gets a triple dose of orange with fresh orange slices, orange juice, and orange zest. The chicken breasts are infused with fresh orange juice and then cream and wine are added. And as you already know, orange and cream are a match made in heaven.
Choose oranges that are sweet and flavorful. When zesting the oranges, be sure to avoid the white pith – it’s bitter.
As a serving recommendation, this chicken pairs nicely with a leafy green salad tossed with vinaigrette and some herbed rice.
Let’s get started!
Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat (I’m using a small one here to cook just two breasts).
Season both sides of the chicken with some salt. Fry the chicken on both sides for 3-4 minutes until browned.
Add the orange slices (not pictured) and fry on both sides for 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate and keep warm.
Add the orange juice, orange zest, salt and white pepper. Bring to a simmer, cover, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
Luscious orange-infused chicken breasts! Transfer the chicken to a warmed plate and tent with foil to keep warm.
Add the heavy cream and wine and bring to a boil. Boil for 3-4 minutes or until the sauce has thickened. Add more salt and pepper if desired.
Arrange chicken and sliced oranges on a serving platter and pour the sauce over. Serve immediately.
Any die-hard grapefruit fans out there? You’ll also want to try this all-original Pan-Seared Chicken With Pink Grapefruit Sauce!
- 2 whole boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in half lengthwise to make two thinner chicken breasts cutlets, seaspm both sides of each cutlet with some salt.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 oranges, peeled and sliced into ¼ inch rounds.
- ½ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- ¾ cup heavy (whipping) cream
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Fry the chicken breasts on both sides until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes on each side. Add the orange slices and fry for a couple of minutes on both sides. Remove the orange slices and set aside, keep warm.
- Add the orange juice, orange zest, salt and white pepper to the pan with the chicken. Bring to a simmer, reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a warmed platter and tent with foil to keep warm.
- Add the heavy cream and white wine to the pan and bring it to a boil, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Boil for 2-3 minutes or until the sauce thickens. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Arrange the chicken breasts on a serving platter with the orange slices on top and pour the sauce over the chicken. Serve immediately.
Adapted from Williams Sonoma