Tender and moist salmon topped with a luscious cranberry ginger mustard sauce. It’s delicious and it couldn’t be easier!
I’ve teamed up with Hamilton Beach to bring you this delicious post!
Last week I found an incredible deal on fresh cranberries at a roadside produce stand: 2-pound bags for $2. Our family are all avid smoothie drinkers and being the berry-maniacs we are, I grabbed 15 bags. I schlepped them home and threw them in the chest freezer and we’ve been enjoying our daily smoothies with those wonderfully healthy, nutrient-dense cranberries ever since.
With 30 pounds of cranberries I’ve also been going to work creating some cranberry-themed dishes and making my own cranberry sauces and relishes for canning. Here’s one example, a dish I made for dinner last night and you’re going to love how fantastically easy and delicious it is!
I used my latest kitchen appliance to cook the salmon, the new Hamilton Beach Professional Sous Vide and 6 Qt. Slow Cooker, and was very happy with the results.
It’s a 2-in-1 appliance, giving you two of the most convenient cooking methods in one compact countertop appliance.
Most of you are already familiar with a slow cooker: Place the ingredients in the slow cooker, program the cooking time and temperature, and then go about your day as usual. When the program ends, the slow cooker will automatically switch to warm. When you come back home you’ll have a ready-made meal waiting for you. And cleanup is a breeze.
How many of you have worked with a sous vide water oven? Sous vide is a cooking technique that literally means “under vacuum”. Its hallmark is precisely cooked food and is what what many professional chefs rely on, including upscale restaurants. Up until recently sous vide water ovens were only available for commercial kitchens – now they’re available for the home cook.
Sous vide involves placing the food in an airtight bag and submerging it under water in a precise temperature-controlled water bath. The food is cooked evenly throughout, reducing the risk of over- and under-cooking and the result is incredibly tender and moist food. The sous vide method is the perfect way to achieve the best steaks. Cook them so they’re tender, moist and pink inside, then remove them from the bags and finish them off with a quick high-heat searing. Exceptional for cooking meats and fish, the sous vide is also great for eggs, fruits, vegetables, and even desserts.
Sous vide water bath temperature can be set from 104°F to 210°F (40°C to 99°C) and can be programmed to cook between one and 72 hours. Combine that with a glass lid for easy viewing, large handles for easy carrying, a sous vide rack to keep the food from touching each other, programming controls with LED indicator lights, a classic stainless steel interior and a 5-year limited warranty, the Hamilton Beach Professional Sous Vide and 6 Qt. Slow Cooker is an awesome countertop appliance makes cooking both convenient and enjoyable.
I love the 2-in-1 feature because I can use both the slow cooker and sous vide methods without having to have two separate appliances taking up space.
I’m going to make today’s Salmon with Cranberry Ginger Mustard Sauce using the sous vide method for an ultra tender, moist and delicate salmon.
You can also bake the salmon, grill, or pan-fry it, whichever you prefer. See the alternative instructions in the recipe box at the bottom of the post.
Let’s get started!
Place the salmon filets in heat-safe, BPA-free and PVC-free resealable bags (read more about it HERE). Press as much of the air out of the bags as you can and seal them tightly shut.
The sous vide cooker comes with a rack so you can place multiple bags in it without the food touching each other.
We’re going to fill the sous vide water bath with water, bring it up to temperature, set the timer, and then place each bag in the slots.
Then close the lid and go about your business. The sous vide cooker will beep when it’s done.
I programmed the cooker for 122 degrees F for 30 minutes for a perfectly moist, tender and flaky salmon.
Now it’s time to glaze the salmon filets. Place the filets on a lightly greased cookie sheet.
We’re going to use this delicious Cranberry Ginger Mustard Sauce, you can find the recipe HERE.
Generously spoon the sauce over each filet.
Set the oven to broil.
Broil the filets in a preheated oven for about a minute.
Don’t over-broil it or it will dry out salmon.
Serve the salmon with steamed jasmine, basmati or wild rice and your choice of vegetables.
Serve the salmon immediately with steamed rice and your choice of veggies.
Salmon with Cranberry Ginger Mustard Sauce
- 4 6 ounce salmon filets
- 1 batch Cranberry Ginger Mustard Sauce click for recipe
- *To prepare using the sous vide method, see the instructions in this blog post and follow the instructions of your particular sous vide water oven. Once cooked, place the salmon on a lightly greased baking sheet and top with the cranberry sauce. Broil for about 1 minute and serve immediately.
- *To bake the salmon: Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Place salmon in a baking dish and baked until cooked through, 12-15 minutes. Top with the cranberry sauce and broil for about a minute and serve immediately.
- *To pan-fry the salmon: Bring the salmon to room temperature before cooking. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Place the salmon skin-side up in the skillet and fry for 4 minutes. Turn the salmon over and fry for another 3 minutes, depending on the thickness of the salmon. Cook until the salmon is firm to the touch. Top with the cranberry sauce and broil in the oven for about a minute and serve immediately.
- *To grill the salmon: Preheat the grill for medium heat. Lightly oil grill grate and place the salmon on the grates skin-side up. Grill for about 4 minutes, turn the salmon over and grill for another 4-6 minutes or until just cooked through. During the last couple of minutes of grilling, top the salmon with the cranberry sauce. Serve immediately.
- For serving: Serve the salmon with steamed jasmine, basmati or wild rice and your choice of vegetables.
Disclosure: I’ve teamed up with Hamilton Beach to bring you this post. Thank you to my readers for supporting the brands that help make The Daring Gourmet possible!