Loaded with as much flavor as nutrition, this wholesome black eyed pea soup recipe is packed with healthy ingredients and is positively delicious! This Black Eyed Pea Soup with Sausage and Kale is so perfect to cozy up to on a cold night and is sure to become part of your regular rotation!
Call it want you like – an Italian-influenced Southern dish or a Southern-influenced Italian dish; either way, this black eyed peas soup is quick and easy to prepare and is deliciously satisfying!
Black eyed peas are one of my favorite legumes. Many other varieties seem to all blend together but black eyed peas have a very unique flavor all to their own. I love enjoying them in the summer in cool dishes like this Black Eyed Pea Salad or in the winter in the form of soups like today’s featured recipe and also this smoky Black Eyed Pea Soup with Ham.
For this soup we’re using kale but you can use can use any greens of your choice (e.g., collards, Swiss chard, mustard greens, beet greens, etc). I often rotate the greens I use according to what I have on hand in my garden. Kale over-winters well so it’s a natural choice for this time of year.
If you like hearty, flavorful soups (who doesn’t) we’re confident you’re going to love this soup as much as we do!
Black Eyed Pea Soup with Sausage Recipe
Let’s get started!
In a stock pot, brown the sausage until most of the pink is gone, then add the oil and onions. Cook until soft and translucent, 5-7 minutes.
Add the garlic and cook another minute.
Add the beans, tomatoes and seasonings.
Add the chicken stock. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium, cover and simmer for 1 hour or until the black-eyed peas are soft but not mushy.
Your deliciously rich and flavorful broth is ready for the kale!
Add the chopped kale and simmer another 10 minutes.
Serve sprinkled with some freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
For more delicious bean soups be sure to try our:
- Ham and Bean Soup
- Black Eyed Pea Soup
- Ham and Bean Soup
- White Bean Chili
- Tuscan White Bean and Sausage Soup
- Minestrone Soup
- French Lentil Soup
- Curried Lentil Soup
- Instant Pot Chili
Black Eyed Pea Soup with Sausage and Kale
- 2 cups dried black-eyed peas , soaked overnight, drained and rinsed
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage (click link for best and easy homemade sausage recipe!)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion , finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 3 bay leaves
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bunch kale (or greens of choice, e.g., collards, Swiss chard, spinach, etc) , washed, tough stalks removed, chopped
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese for serving
- In a large pot, brown the sausage until most of the pink is gone. Add the olive oil and onions and cook until soft and translucent, 5-7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Add all remaining ingredients except for the kale. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium, cover and simmer for 1 hour or until the black-eyed peas are tender but not mushy. Add the kale and simmer for another 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve sprinkled with some freshly grated Parmesan cheese.This soup tastes even better the next day and makes great leftovers!
First published on The Daring Gourmet January 15, 2015