This Slow Cooker Greek Chicken recipe is super easy to throw together for a busy weeknight. Simply add the ingredients to your slow cooker and you’ll be coming home to a delicious ready meal!
It’s meals like this Greek Chicken that remind me that I really need to make more use of my slow cooker. It’s so easy to make and enables me to go about my day hands-free from having to prep for dinner in the kitchen. And at the end of the day I have a delicious hot meal ready and waiting for our family dinner. This succulent moist and tender Greek chicken is packed with flavor and is sure to become a family favorite!
How to Make Slow Cooker Greek Chicken
Once you’ve made the homemade Greek seasoning blend, which is quick and can be made days in advance (link provided in the recipe below), there are only three simple steps remaining: 1) Mix the sauce together. 2) Pour over the chicken. 3) Cook the chicken and add the olives and capers towards the end.
Prep time is silly minimal and the end result is simply wonderful. Super tender and moist chicken infused with the flavors of Greece and a touch of the exotic from the incredible flavor of preserved lemons.
You can buy preserved lemons at Middle Eastern grocery stores and can also find them here on Amazon. However they are extremely easy to make yourself – you just need some time and patience – and we highly recommend making your own because they taste much better than store-bought. Plus they’re fun to make!
Check out our recipe for Homemade Preserved Lemons and to learn additional ways to use this phenomenal ingredient! They will seriously change your life. Or at least the way you cook.
As already mentioned, be sure to make the homemade Greek seasoning. It beats any store-bought blends and takes less than 5 minutes to make. This homemade blend is key to the flavor of this Greek Chicken so leave the store-bought stuff on the shelf and make our BEST homemade Greek Seasoning Blend!
Let’s get started!
In a small bowl, whisk together the homemade Greek Seasoning Blend with the olive oil remaining sauce ingredients.
Pour it over the chicken in the slow cooker. Cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or on HIGH for 4-5 hours.
During the final hour of cooking, add the kalamata olives and capers and spoon some of the sauce over the chicken.
Serve with some crusty bread or rice and/or a simple Greek salad consisting of chopped tomatoes, cucumbers, red onions, crumbled Feta cheese and Italian dressing.
Greek Chicken (Slow Cooker)
- 2 pounds chicken breasts
- 1 cup whole pitted Kalamata olives rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup capers
- For the sauce:
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1 entire batch Homemade Greek Seasoning Blend (click link for recipe) **This homemade Greek seasoning blend is KEY to the flavor of this dish!)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped Preserved Lemons
- *Homemade Preserved Lemons (click link for recipe) **Highly recommended for the best flavor and they're super easy to make!
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sauce ingredients and set aside until ready to use.
- Place the chicken in the slow cooker and pour the sauce over the chicken. Cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or on HIGH for 4-5 hours. During the last hour of cooking add the olives and capers.
- Served with crusty bread or rice and/or a simple Greek salad consisting of chopped tomatoes, cucumbers, red onions, crumbled Feta cheese and Italian dressing.
I couldn’t tell, we’re the chicken breasts boneless or bone-in?
Kimberly @ The Daring Gourmet says
Hi Alice, these are boneless but you can also use bone-in (more flavor).
Heather Heustis says
Lovely tender chicken and beautiful flavour. I will make again, with a few changes. It was way too salty for me, so I will leave out the bouillon and the salt in the Greek seasoning. I also found the capers did not add anything, so will leave those out as well to further reduce the salt. The preserve lemon is wonderful, but I will put in 3 Tbsps next time and cut it in ¾” strips so you get a bigger hit of it when you bite into one.
All in all a keeper with a few minor tweaks! Thank you!
My favorite new recipe. I added red pepper flakes to the spice mix & chopped jalapeños to the sauce to give it more heat. I threw chopped potatoes, onions, carrots and a bunch of whole garlic cloves in. Used 2 kinds of olives. Feta & cilantro on top once it is plated. Amazing!