My mom is a phenomenal cook. Growing up she would regularly make dishes from all around the world and it’s no wonder I’ve acquired the same passion for international cuisine. She would make authentic dishes from various regions of the world and then incorporate those flavors and styles into her own recipes.
Among our favorite dishes were some of her very quick and simple ones that she’d make on busy weeknights. Her Spanish Steaks are one example – super easy to make but thoroughly mouth-watering and a dish we always looked forward to. The aroma the floods the house as these are cooking is simply heavenly!
Another one we really loved was a simple dish she called “Spanish Rice.” This one-pot meal is full of flavor, hearty and satisfying, and takes just minutes to make. It’s also a great dish to double up and have as convenient leftovers the next day. This Spanish Rice is a nostalgic dish for me because it’s one of the very first dishes I helped my mom make. As a 4 and 5 year old I’d sit up on the kitchen counter, eager to help, and my mom would give me the task of browning the ground beef and stir in the remaining ingredients. It gave me a sense of achievement to see the finished dish come together and inspired my future appetite for cooking.
Easy and delicious, this Spanish Rice is sure to become part of your busy weeknight meal rotation!
Let’s get started!
Brown the ground beef in a stock pot until most of the pink is gone. Add the onions and cook for 2-3 minutes.
Add the bell peppers and cook for another 4-5 minutes. Stir in the spices and add the rice.
Add the V8 juice and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer 20 minutes.
Serve as a main dish with salad.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 yellow or orange bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 14 ounce can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups rice
- 1 46 ounce bottle V8 100% Vegetable Juice (about 5 1/2 cups)
- Brown the ground beef in a stock pot until most of the pink is gone. Add the onions and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the bell peppers and cook for another 3-4 minutes. Stir in the spices and the rice.
- Add the V8 juice and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.