Chili makes for some of the best comfort food, don’t you think? That rich velvety red sauce laden with beef and beans and a multitude of spices including a bucket of chili powder, then topped with shredded cheese, sour cream, cilantro, avocado, and anything else your hungry little heart desires…yes, chili was invented for those who appreciate good soul-satisfying food.
This chili enlists the help of spicy chipotles for a major flavor boost. Chipotles are smoke-dried jalapenos and man, are they good! Wonderfully potent, a little goes a long way but we’re going to double the dose for some extra oomph! You can find chipotles en adobo in grocery stores with a well-stocked Mexican section, your local Mexican grocery store, or you can buy them online here. Just don’t go making this chili without them, y’all hear? They’re a MUST!
Another great flavor element in this chili is hominy. Now unless you live in the South, that’s probably not an ingredient you use very often. But hominy adds such a great flavor to this chili. Think of it as corn flavor on steroids. You can find canned hominy in most grocery stores.
Lastly, there’s the masa harina. Again, don’t skip over this ingredient. The concentrated corn flavor adds a fantastic touch to this chili and it’s also used in place of flour to add a little thickening. But it’s the flavor we’re after, so be sure to include it. Find it in your local Mexican grocery store or buy it online here.
With those three ingredients – chipotles en adobo, hominy and masa harina – you are all set!
Come pull up a chair and let’s dish us up some Spicy Chipotle Chili with Hominy!
Let’s get started!
Heat the oil in a heavy deep skillet or Dutch oven and brown the ground meat.
Add the onions and garlic and cook until soft and translucent, 5-7 minutes.
Add all the seasonings and masa harina and stir to combine. Cook for one minute.
Add all remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes. Add the cilantro and stir to combine. Add salt to taste.
Serve with shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, some chopped fresh cilantro and avocado as desired.
Enjoy this flavor-packed chili with hominy and chipotles!
- 1 pound ground beef (or turkey, chicken or pork)
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons chili powder (we highly recommend this homemade chili powder)
- 2 tablespoons masa harina
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules/powder
- 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney or pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 (15 ounce) cans hominy (yellow or white), drained and rinsed
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 4 chipotles en adobo, chopped
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce from can
- 1 cup beef broth
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- Accompaniments: Sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, cilantro, avocado
- Heat the oil in a heavy deep skillet or Dutch oven and brown the ground beef.
- Add the onions and garlic and cook until soft and translucent, 5-7 minutes.
- Add all the seasonings and masa harina and stir to combine. Cook for one minute.
- Add all remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes. Add the cilantro and stir to combine. Add salt to taste.
- Serve with shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, some chopped fresh cilantro and avocado as desired.