If I’m going to give you a recipe for a condiment, like my homemade Mango Chutney, I’m also going to provide you with some creative and tasty ways to use it. So far we’ve had the Mango Chutney Chicken and the Grilled Cheese and Chutney Sandwiches. Here’s another one: Low fat and delicious Pulled Mango Chicken Sandwiches. Ah, mangoes!
I love you. You’re so sweet and tender. You’re so flavorful and juicy and versatile. You’ve now been the inspiration for three delicious recipes. Thank you sweet, sweet mango.
Prep time involves throwing the ingredients in the slow cooker and turning the switch to “low.” Then removing the chicken from the bones and returning it to the slow cooker. That’s it! Let the slow cooker do all the work. Now all you have to do is EAT.
Combine the mango chutney, Dijon mustard, brown sugar, salt, pepper, red chile flakes and water in a bowl and stir to combine.
Place the bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts in the slow cooker and slather them with the sauce. Place the slow cooker on the “low” setting and cook for 8-10 hours, making sure there is always liquid on the bottom to prevent burning and adding a little water as needed.
After 8-10 hours, voila! Look at that glorious, juicy, tender slow-cooked mango chicken!
Transfer the chicken to a plate (leave the juices in the slow cooker – we’ll still need them).
Take another long look at those delicious mango chicken breasts…drool….
Remove and discard the skin. Remove the chicken from the bones. Discard the bones.
Either shred the chicken on the plate and add it to the slow cooker, or transfer the pieces to the slow cooker and use a fork to shred it there. Either way, you choose.
Allow the shredded chicken to soak up the juices. Keep warm until ready to serve.
Use a slotted spoon to strain the excess juices from the chicken and place some of the chicken on the bottom halves of the buns. Spoon some extra mango chutney on top along with some shredded red cabbage. If desired, place some lettuce on the buns before adding the chicken. Serve immediately with your choice of sides (e.g., french fries, coleslaw).
- 2 large bone-in, skin on chicken breasts
- ½ cup homemade mango chutney (see recipe at http://www.daringgourmet.com/2013/03/07/indian-mango-chutney/)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ cup water
- Place the chicken in a slow-cooker on low setting. Place all remaining ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine. Slather the sauce over the chicken pieces. Close the lid of the slow cooker and cook for 8-10 hours. Make there is enough liquid on the bottom at all times to prevent burning and add a little water as needed.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate, remove and discard the skin, and shred the chicken. Return the shredded chicken to the juices in the slow-cooker and stir to coat the chicken. If it's too dry, add a little more water. Add salt to taste. Let the chicken absorb the juices a little longer, at least 20 minutes, and keep warm until ready to serve.
- Toast some whole wheat hamburger buns, use a slotted spoon the remove some of the excess juices of the chicken and place some of the chicken mixture on the bottom half of the bun, top with some extra mango chutney and shredded red cabbage and serve immediately. If desired, place some lettuce on the bottom halves of the hamburger buns before adding the chicken.
- Serve with homemade French fries and/or coleslaw.