This deliciously creamy coleslaw is the perfect side dish for your barbecue, picnic and summer potluck!
It’s hard to imagine a barbecue, picnic or summer potluck without coleslaw!
The name coleslaw arose from the Dutch word koolsla which means “cabbage salad.” Shredded cabbage salads exist around the world in different variations, most commonly with a base of oil and vinegar. But when mayonnaise was invented by a French chef in the mid-18th century its popularity took off in America and soon the classic creamy coleslaw was born.
Quick and easy to make, this creamy coleslaw recipe provides the perfect balance of flavors and rivals your favorite restaurant or deli version!
Let’s get started!
Place the veggies in a bowl and sprinkle with a teaspoon of salt. Toss to combine. Let this sit for at least an hour to draw out excess water. Rinse and drain.
Combine the dressing ingredients in a medium sized bowl. Pour the dressing over the veggies and stir to coat. Cover and chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours before serving.
Enjoy the best creamy coleslaw!
Perfect Creamy Coleslaw
- 16 ounces shredded cabbage/carrot blend (classic is green cabbage but you can add some red cabbage for color)
- For the Coleslaw Dressing:
- 1 cup quality mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Place the shredded cabbage and carrots in a large bowl and sprinkle a teaspoon of salt over them. Toss to combine. Let this sit for at least an hour to draw out excess water. Rinse and drain.
- Combine the dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Pour it over the cabbage mixture and stir until combined. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.