Peas are coated in a creamy dressing and tossed with bacon, red onions, and cheddar cheese. The result in what our family considers an absolutely indispensable side dish at family gatherings! This BEST Pea Salad recipe has remained a family favorite for over three decades!
Most have us have certain dishes that we associate with our childhoods. I have many of them, especially favorite dishes I grew up with in Germany. This Pea Salad is a dish I associate specifically with the holidays – Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas – because it was a favorite of mine and my brother and we insisted it be served at every Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner pretty much regardless of whatever else was served. Indeed, if my mom ever suggested going a holiday without it, my brother and I would immediately remind her that to not have pea salad at the holiday table was akin to sacrilege.
Even now, many years later, as we travel and come together as a family for the holidays, one of us is assigned to prepare pea salad. It is in fact the only dish that has remained a staple “must have” at our holiday table; all others, however beloved they may be, are dispensable and subject to rotation. But not pea salad. Not only that, my brother and I always insist that whoever prepares it double the recipe because leftovers are equally a must.
If you’ve been following my blog for some time the revelation of this pea salad obsession may come as a surprise to you. I really can’t explain the possessive power this pea salad has had over us our whole lives but I confess, we are hard core pea salad fans and I don’t see that ever changing.
So here it is, my family’s “must have”, “can never live without” BEST Pea Salad recipe!
BEST Pea Salad Recipe
Let’s get started!
Combine the dressing ingredients in a bowl. Set aside.
Place the drained peas in a large mixing bowl along with the red onions, bacon and cheddar cheese. Stir to combine.
Pour the dressing over the salad and stir to evenly coat.
Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving. Add salt and pepper to taste.
This salad can be made a day in advance.
For more delicious side salads be sure to try our:
- Southern Black Eyed Pea Salad
- Crunchy Broccoli Salad
- Greek Grilled Asparagus Salad
- Macaroni Salad
- Waldorf Salad
- Classic Potato Salad
- Creamy Coleslaw
- Sauerkraut Salad
Favorite Pea Salad
- For the dressing:
- 1/2 cup full fat sour cream
- 1/3 cup quality mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- For the salad:
- 24 ounces frozen peas (about 4 cups), thawed and thoroughly drained
- 1/3 cup crumbled bacon (about 10 slices)
- 1/3 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Combine the dressing ingredients in a bowl. Set aside.Place the drained peas in a large mixing bowl along with the red onions, bacon and cheddar cheese. Stir to combine. Pour the dressing over the salad and stir to evenly coat.Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight before serving. Add salt and pepper to taste.This salad can be prepared a day in advance and keeps for up to 3 days in the fridge.