This colorful and flavorful Italian Barley Salad is a great make-ahead dish and is perfect for your next potluck, picnic, BBQ or any other occasion!
I did something I never thought I’d do.
I never, ever thought I’d replicate, or even want to replicate, airplane food. But I did and here it is!
On a recent trip back home from Europe we were served a barley salad as the side dish and it was actually very good. So much so that our 6 year-old daughter asked if she could have ours too! Fortunately for me our 8 year-old son didn’t want his :) As our daughter was eating it she asked me if I could make it “as soon as” we got back home. So the next day she got her wish.
This salad is a great make-ahead salad as the flavor is even better the next day.
Let’s get started!
Make a batch of Homemade Italian Dressing.
Place all the veggies and parsley in a large bowl and add the cooled, cooked barley. Stir to combine.
Add the Homemade Italian Dressing and stir to thoroughly combine.
Cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least 3-4 hours before serving.
Italian Barley Salad
- 1 1/4 cup uncooked pearl barley (for GF version use quinoa, millet or GF grain of choice)
- 1 cucumber, chopped
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 3/4 cup Homemade Italian Dressing (click link for recipe)
- Cook the barley in salted water for about 45 minutes or until the barley is tender but still chewy. Drain and cool completely.
- Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl. Add the Homemade Italian Dressing and stir to thoroughly combine. Chill in the fridge for at least 3-4 hours before serving. Can be made a day ahead.