The flavors in this vibrant Thai Quinoa Salad are out of this world! Featuring a peanut sauce dressing and loads of colorful veggies, this tasty and pretty salad is bound to be a hit at your next gathering!
Thai Quinoa Salad
Here is a healthy and delicious salad you can proudly serve at your next picnic, potluck, BBQ or family dinner. It features an array of vibrant colors, crunchy textures and is tossed with a fabulous peanut dressing. It’s sure to be a hit!
This recipe calls for quinoa, an extraordinarily healthy grain, but you can also substitute any other grain of your choice. Likewise the peanut dressing used in this recipe can be used for a variety of other applications including a dipping sauce, a sauce for grilled and baked chicken and pork and for other salads.
This salad is naturally gluten free and vegan (simply swap out the honey for a liquid sweetener like agave) and is high in protein and vitamins.
Can It Be Made In Advance?
Yes! Simply prep the veggies and peanut dressing ahead of time, cook and refrigerate the quinoa, and then toss everything together just before serving. It’s ready in a snap!
Let’s get started!
Add all the chopped veggies and herbs to a large bowl and toss to combine.
Add the cooked, chilled quinoa and stir to combine. Make sure the quinoa is thoroughly chilled through to prevent it from becoming mushy.
Add all the peanut dressing ingredients in a bowl or blender and puree until the sauce is smooth. This time I placed everything in a bowl and used an immersion blender.
Pour the peanut dressing over the salad and stir to combine. Serve immediately.
Refrigerate any leftovers and let it sit at room temperature for a few minutes before serving.
Thai Quinoa Salad
- 3 cups cooked quinoa (about 1 cup uncooked) , thoroughly chilled (careful not to overcook to avoid it from being mushy)
- 1 1/2 cups finely shredded red cabbage
- 3/4 cup julienned carrots
- 1 red bell pepper, finely sliced
- 1/3 cup diced red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 green onions, sliced
- For the Peanut Dressing:
- 1/4 cup natural unsweetened peanut butter (smooth or chunky, your choice)
- 2 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce (for gluten free use tamari)
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- Juice of one lime
- 1 tablespoon honey (vegan: use liquid sweetener of choice)
- 2 teaspoons finely minced ginger
- 2 teaspoons finely minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (optional) (vegan: omit)
- 1-2 teaspoons lemongrass paste (optional but fabulous)
- 2-3 tablespoons hot water (add more if you want a thinner dressing)
- Place the veggies and herbs in a large mixing bowl and toss to combine. Add the chilled cooked quinoa and stir to combine.
- Add the peanut dressing ingredients to a blender (or bowl and use immersion blender) and puree until smooth.
- Pour the peanut dressing over the salad and stir to combine. Serve immediately.
Originally published on The Daring Gourmet on June 30, 2018