The BEST coleslaw and the perfect side dish for your barbecue, picnic and summer potluck! This classic creamy coleslaw recipe is quick to make and features the perfect texture and balance of flavors, rivaling your favorite restaurant or deli version!
It’s hard to imagine a barbecue, picnic or summer potluck without coleslaw! And we’ve got the perfect creamy coleslaw recipe for you to try!
This classic side dish is an American staple. It features crispy cabbage and carrots tossed in a tangy and seasoned mayonnaise dressing. It’s the classic dish to bring to picnics, potlucks, cookouts and barbecues.
The name coleslaw arose from the Dutch word koolsla which means “cabbage salad.” Shredded cabbage salads exist around the world in different variations, most commonly with a base of oil and vinegar. But when mayonnaise was invented by a French chef in the mid-18th century its popularity took off in America and soon the classic creamy coleslaw was born.
Quick and easy to make, this recipe provides the perfect balance of flavors and rivals your favorite restaurant or deli version!
What to Serve With Coleslaw
It’s the quintessential classic summer side dish along with things like potato salad, pasta salad and corn on the cob.
It’s enjoyed as a side dish and is also phenomenal heaped on pulled pork sandwiches, wraps, hot dots, burgers and tacos!
Can I Freeze Coleslaw?
The mayonnaise makes it unsuitable for freezing because it tends to separate after being frozen and becomes very watery. Raw cabbage likewise does not freeze very well. For a delicious variation that can be frozen, try our Freezer Slaw.
BEST Coleslaw Recipe
Let’s get started!
A key to making the best coleslaw is eliminating excess water so the end result isn’t watery which will dilute the flavor and prevent that great creamy consistency we’re after. To do that we need to draw out the water from the vegetables before adding the dressing.
Place the veggies in a bowl and sprinkle with a teaspoon of salt. Toss to combine. Let this sit for at least an hour to draw out excess water. Rinse and thoroughly drain (either use a salad spinner to spin dry it or lay it out on paper towels and blot dry.) Return the cabbage to the bowl.
Combine the dressing ingredients in a medium sized bowl. Be sure to use a good quality mayonnaise, it makes all the difference. Pour the dressing over the veggies and stir to coat. Cover and chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours before serving.
This dish is naturally gluten-free and for a vegan coleslaw simply use vegan mayonnaise.
For more delicious salads be sure to also try our:
- BEST Chicken Salad
- Broccoli Salad
- Classic Potato Salad
- Freezer Slaw
- BEST Macaroni Salad
- Pea Salad
- German Potato Salad
- Waldorf Salad
- Pepperoni Pizza Pasta Salad
- Watermelon Salad
- Greek Wheat Berry Salad
- Italian Barley Salad
- Curried Couscous Salad
- Thai Quinoa Salad
- 16 ounces shredded cabbage/carrot blend (classic is green cabbage but you can add some red cabbage for color)
- For the Coleslaw Dressing:
- 1 cup quality mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Place the shredded cabbage and carrots in a large bowl and sprinkle a teaspoon of salt over them. Toss to combine. Let this sit for at least an hour to draw out excess water. Rinse and thoroughly drain (either use a salad spinner to spin dry it or lay it out on paper towels and blot dry.) Return the cabbage to the bowl.
- Combine the dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Pour it over the cabbage mixture and stir until combined. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
Originally published on The Daring Gourmet June 21, 2018