Cool, crisp, refreshing and flavorful, this make-ahead freezer slaw is sure to be a hit and is superbly convenient to have on hand!
I’m not sure where or when freezer slaw originated, but the concept has been around for decades. This oldie but goodie comes by way of request from one of our readers who recalled her grandmother making it years ago and was looking for a recipe.
This delicious freezer slaw is the perfect make-ahead dish! You simply toss the ingredients together, put them in a ziplock bag and put it in the freezer where it will keep for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to eat it, you just pull a bag of it out of the freezer, let it thaw and serve. It’s super convenient!
This freezer slaw is excellent eaten plain as well as on hot dogs, burgers, wraps and sandwiches.
Cool, crisp, refreshing and flavorful, this freezer slaw is sure to be a hit!
Let’s get started!
Place all the veggies in a large bowl and toss. Sprinkle the salt over them and let them sit for at least one hour to draw out the water. Rinse and drain the veggies.
Prepare the cider dressing: Place the dressing ingredients in a small saucepan and boil for one minute. Let it cool just slightly, a couple of minutes.
Pour the hot cider dressing over the veggies and stir to combine. Let it cool completely.
Spoon the slaw into ziplock bags with most of the liquid (one batch fits perfectly in a gallon bag) and spread it out flat.
Lay the ziplock in the freezer. It will keep up to 3 months.
To use it, simply take the bag out of the freezer and let it thaw. Then place it in a bowl and serve.
- 2 pounds shredded green cabbage
- 1 large red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 large green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 large carrots, shredded
- 1 cup finely diced onion
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- For the Dressing:
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cup cane sugar, see note (can substitute the equivalent alternative sweetener)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Place all the veggies in a large bowl and toss. Sprinkle the salt over them and let them sit for at least one hour to draw out the water. Rinse and drain the veggies.
- To make the dressing, place all the dressing ingredients in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes. Let cool just slightly, a couple of minutes.
- Place the veggies in a large bowl and pour the hot dressing over them. Stir to combine. Let the slaw cool completely then spoon into a freezer bag with most of the liquid. Lay the freezer bag flat in the freezer. Will keep up to 3 months. To use, remove the bag, thaw, and place in a bowl to serve.