Grilled Salmon with Peach Salsa If you’re looking for a fabulous grilled salmon recipe to add to your repertoire, this one’s a must try! Smoky grilled salmon is topped a fresh and vibrant sweet-spicy salsa featuring peaches and jalapenos! Quick and easy to make with show-stopping results!
This grilled salmon recipe is perfect for those busy weeknights when you don’t have the time to cook but still want something healthy, delicious, and visually catching. The salsa can be made ahead and the salmon takes literally minutes to cook, making this a ready meal within just 15 minutes!
Wild-caught salmon is a powerhouse of nutrition. In recent years we’ve been hearing more and more about the health benefits associated with the omega-3 fats in salmon, including a large American study of several thousands of participants followed over the course of 16 years. Those who ate salmon on a regular basis were 27% less likely to die of any cause, 40% less likely to die of coronary heart disease, and 48% less likely to die of an arrhythmia. Not bad!
Salmon is one of the very best things you can eat but we strongly recommend choosing wild-caught wherever possible and avoiding farm-raised. Farm-raised salmon is not only far inferior nutrition content-wise, it’s pretty unhealthy. Salmon from a farm is raised on an artificial diet of corn and soy, chicken and feather meal, food coloring and synthetic astaxanthin. Farmed salmon is raised on genetically engineered ingredients, antibiotics, pesticides and a whole slew of chemical additives. So go wild.
Wild-caught Alaskan salmon is widely considered the best, particularly sockeye salmon. Sockeye is high in heart-healthy omega-3 fats, is very rich in flavor, and is ideal for grilling. But whatever kind of salmon you have access to, select the best and you’ll be rewarded both in flavor and in health benefits.
Really good salmon needs very little embellishing. It’s amazing drizzled with just a little oil and sprinkled with some salt and pepper. But a little embellishing really can make a good thing even better. Like grilling the salmon for a slightly smoky flavor and then topping it with some fresh, sweet-spicy peach and jalapeno salsa. And that’s exactly what we’re going to do today. Not only is this grilled salmon delicious, it’s super easy and quick to throw together.
DON’T HAVE A GRILL? This is also wonderful pan-fried. Just follow the same instructions of heating the pan over medium-high heat, adding a little oil, and frying each side for 3-4 minutes.
Important is to choose fresh, ripe peaches in season. You can also use nectarines.
Grilled Salmon with Peach Salsa Recipe
Let’s get started!
Combine all the salsa ingredients in a bowl.
Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before using.
Brush the salmon with the olive oil.
Sprinkle with the cumin and with some salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Preheat the grill to medium heat.
Brush the cooking grates with oil.
Lay the salmon skin side up (flesh side down) on the cooking grates.
Depending on the thickness of the salmon, grill for 3-4 minutes on each side or until done.
Serve immediately topped with some fresh peach salsa.
For more delicious salmon recipes be sure to try our:
- Pecan-Crusted Salmon with Bacon Fat Maple Glaze
- Salmon Risotto with Preserved Lemon
- Garlic Dill Baked Salmon
- Salmon with Cranberry Ginger Mustard Sauce
Grilled Salmon with Peach Salsa
- 4 (5-6) ounce wild caught salmon fillets with skin
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- For the Peach Salsa:
- 2 cups diced fresh ripe peaches (can also use ripe nectarines)
- 1 Roma tomato , seeded and diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper , seeds and membranes removed, finely chopped (or leave the membranes if you prefer a spicier salsa)
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- To make the peach salsa combine all ingredients in a bowl, cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
- Brush both sides of the salmon fillets with olive oil, sprinkle with the ground cumin and some salt and pepper.Pre-heat the grill to medium heat and brush the cooking grates with oil.Lay the salmon skin side up (flesh side down) on the grill. Depending on the thickness of the salmon, grill for 3-4 minutes on each side or until done. Serve immediately topped with some peach salsa.
- IF YOU DON'T HAVE A GRILL: This is also wonderful pan-fried. Just follow the same instructions of heating the pan over medium-high heat, adding a little oil, and frying each side for 3-4 minutes.
Originally published on The Daring Gourmet May 27, 2015