Made with 100% whole grains, oats, fresh apples, and yogurt, this wholesome Apple Crisp Muffins recipe incorporates all the essential ingredients for apple crisp but in MUFFIN form! With a wonderfully moist and tender crumb, these delicious muffins are sure to be a hit!
Thank you to General Mills for sponsoring this post
I love the texture sensation of chomping into a muffin with crunchy sweet crumblies on the top and a soft and chewy interior. And simply nothing beats a rack of freshly baked muffins hot out of the oven! This Apple Crisp Muffins recipe is just what you need to get your day started. These sensational apple streusel muffins are perfect for an on-the-go breakfast, a midday snack, or with a glass of milk before you head to bed.
Wonderful anytime of the year, the flavor and fragrance of spicy cinnamon makes these especially perfect for the cool weather!
The concept for these muffins was born several years ago when I was at Walmart and came across Yoplait’s special seasonal edition flavor, Apple Crisp. I love adding yogurt to baked goods because it makes them so rich and moist, and when I saw this yogurt I immediately envisioned doubling up on the apple flavor (because really, is there such a thing as too much?) by incorporating this yogurt with traditional apple crisp ingredients to create something luscious. Double the apple crisp flavor – yes, please!
And they were a hit. Every hand in our home grabbed one, devoured it (in this case the mouth, not the hand), and divided up the remaining two.
And you know me, most of the time my conscience forces me to turn these creations into healthier versions. And so I did!
These wholesome, whole-grain muffins are packed with goodness, including 100% spelt (you can use whole wheat) flour, oats, fresh apples, and yogurt. Since the yogurt already sugar in it we’re using less in the recipe. The yogurt and buttermilk soften the whole grain flour to give you that wonderful moist interior and then the sweet crunchy streusel topping takes these muffins to a new level.
The next time you’re craving something sweet that you don’t have to feel too guilty about, whip up a batch of these. An on-the-go version of your favorite apple crisp dessert, you can take these with you anywhere!
This recipe makes either 6 jumbo muffins (which is what I made) or 12 regular-sized muffins. I especially like these particular muffins in jumbo size.
Apple Crisp Muffins Recipe
Let’s get started!
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Butter a 6-cup jumbo muffin pan or a 12-cup regular muffin pan.
In a medium-sized bowl, combine the flour with the salt, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl beat together the eggs, brown sugar, oil and vanilla extract until combined.
Next add the yogurt and beat until combined.
Gradually stir in the flour mixture but don’t thoroughly combine.
Stir in the oats and apples before the mixture is completely combined. Be careful not to over-stir or the muffins will be heavy and dense. The batter will be thick.
Spoon the batter into the muffin cups, filling them just barely over the 3/4 full mark.
Make the streusel topping:
Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and work with your fingers to make crumbles.
Sprinkle the streusel over the muffins.
Bake on the middle rack for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
Let the muffins sit for a couple of minutes before carefully removing them from the pan.
Transfer the muffins to a wire rack to cool for a few minutes.
Eat while still warm, that’s how they’re best!
For more autumn baked goodies be sure to try our:
- Baked Apple Cider Donuts
- German Apple Cake
- Sweet Potato Pie
- Apple Butter Cinnamon Rolls
- Pumpkin Chocolate Pecan Streusel Muffins
- Pumpkin Eggnog Cake
- Whole Grain Pumpkin Waffles
Apple Crisp Muffins
- 2 cups spelt flour (can substitute whole wheat but spelt is milder and bakes up more tender)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup neutral oil (I used avocado)
- 1 teaspoon quality pure vanilla extract
- 12 ounces (2 x 6 ounce containers) Yoplait Original Apple Crisp yogurt (can substitute any vanilla yogurt or sweetened yogurt of choice)
- 1 cup finely chopped apple , peel removed
- 1/4 cup old-fashioned oats
- For the Streusel Topping:
- 1/2 cup spelt flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter , at room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Butter a 12-cup regular muffin pan or a 6-cup jumbo muffin pan (for these muffins I prefer the jumbo size).
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the flour with the salt, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat together the eggs, brown sugar, oil and vanilla extract until combined then add the yogurt. Gradually stir in the flour mixture then stir in the oats and apples before the mixture is completely combined. Be careful not to over-stir or the muffins will be heavy and dense.Spoon the batter into the muffin cups, filling them just barely over the 3/4 full mark.
- Make the streusel topping: Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and work with your fingers to make crumbles.Sprinkle the streusel over each muffin. Bake on the middle rack for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Let the muffins sit for a couple of minutes before carefully removing them from the pan.Best eaten warm.
Originally published on The Daring Gourmet October 20, 2015