This delicious Chinese Beef and Broccoli recipe comes together in just minutes. Perfect for busy weeknights and WAY better than Chinese takeout, this is sure to become a favorite in your home!
Chinese Beef and Broccoli Recipe
One of the most popular Chinese takeout dishes, this features succulent beef with broccoli, onions and bean sprouts tossed in a phenomenally delicious sauce!
One of the things I love about Chinese food – aside from the fact that it tastes so darn delicious – is how quick it is to make. Once you have the prep work of all the chopping done – and that can conveniently be done in advance – it literally takes 5 minutes or less to actually cook.
Another thing I love about Chinese food is that it’s such a great way to get in those healthy veggies. Stir-fries are perfect for using up veggies you have on hand – onions, bell peppers, carrots, celery, zucchini, broccoli, snow peas, etc. Just throw ’em all in, give ’em a fry, stir in the sauce, and voila!
Broccoli is one of our favorite vegetables, and one my kids are always happy to eat. Here is a delicious Chinese Beef and Broccoli stir fry that is ready for the table, including prep time, in just the amount of time it takes you to steam the rice!
How to Make Chinese Beef and Broccoli
Let’s get started!
Chop up the veggies, slice the beef, mince the garlic and ginger, and wash the bean sprouts. Toss the beef in the soy sauce and sherry. All of this can be done well in advance to save you time come dinner.
Heat the oil over high heat in a wok or large heavy skillet. Once very hot, add the beef and fry until lightly browned, about 2 minutes.
Add the onions, garlic and ginger and fry for another minute.
Add the broccoli and fry for another minute.
Stir in the bean sprouts.
Stir in the sauce and simmer for one minute.
Serve over steamed rice.
Looking for more great Chinese recipes?
Be sure to try our MONGOLIAN CHICKEN!
Chinese Beef and Broccoli
- 1 pound lean beef ,cut into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sherry
- 2 tablespoons oil for high-heat frying
- 1 small yellow onion ,halved and then sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 4 cups fresh uncooked broccoli florets in bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- For the Sauce:
- 1/3 cup soy sauce (paleo: substitute coconut aminos)
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup brown sugar (paleo: substitute approved sweetener)
- 1 tablespoon sherry
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seed oil
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Optional: For an amazing boost in flavor add 1-2 tablespoons Chinese Black Bean Sauce
- Homemade Chinese Black Bean Sauce
- OR store-bought Chinese Black Bean Sauce
- Toss the beef strips with the soy sauce and sherry. Set aside until ready to use.
- Combine the sauce ingredients until the cornstarch is dissolved. Set aside until ready to use.
- Heat the oil over high heat in a wok or large heavy skillet. Once very hot, add the beef and fry until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Add the onions, garlic and ginger and fry for another minute. Add a little more oil if necessary. Add the broccoli and fry for another minute or until crisp-tender. Stir in the bean sprouts. Stir in the sauce and simmer for another minute.
- Serve immediately with steamed rice.