Our garden is bursting with rhubarb! We have about 6 large rhubarb plants, all of which were in desperate need of splitting earlier this Spring. After splitting them we ended up with about 25 rhubarb plants! Most of them we gave away to friends but se kept a few and transplanted them. That means we’re pretty much set for life with rhubarb galore.
After making jam and compote with the rhubarb I made this cake on a whim. I had 2 pounds of strawberries in the fridge and threw the two together to make this upside-down cake. Topped with whipped cream or served with vanilla ice cream, it’s simply delish!
Let’s get started!
Place the butter in a 8×8 inch square baking dish or round cake pan. Melt it in the oven. Sprinkle the brown sugar evenly over the butter.
Place the strawberries evenly over the brown sugar followed by the rhubarb.
In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs, oil, vanilla extract and sugar until combined. Add the sour cream and beat until combined. In a small mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add the milk and flour mixture, alternating between the two and ending with the flour. Beat just until combined.
Pour the batter into the cake pan. In an oven preheated to 350 degrees F, bake for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let the cake sit for 5 minutes then run a knife along the edges and invert the cake onto a plate. If using, pour over the extra caramel glaze and let cool another couple of minutes before serving.
Enjoy the heavenly combination of strawberry and rhubarb with delicious caramel glaze!
- 1/4 cup butter, quartered
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 1/2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 1/2 cups diced rhubarb
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup oil (I use avocado oil)
- 1 teaspoon quality pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place the pieces of butter in a 8x8 inch baking pan or 9 inch round pan and melt it in the oven. Sprinkle the brown sugar evenly over the melted butter. Evenly place the strawberries over the brown sugar followed by the rhubarb.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla extract and beat to combine. Add the sour cream and beat until combined. Add the milk and flour mixture, alternating between the two and ending with the flour. Beat just until combined.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan and bake for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. (If the cake is getting to brown on the top before the rest is done, cover it with foil.) Let the cake sit for 5 minutes then run knife around edges and invert the cake onto a plate. (See Note)
- Serve with whipped cream or ice cream if desired.
For a prettier appearance, I like to spread on a little more caramel glaze before serving. Here's what you need:
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons heavy cream
Place the butter, brown sugar and heavy cream in a small saucepan (you can also microwave the ingredients for a minute). Bring to a boil and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let it sit for a minute. Pour the glaze evenly over the cake. Let it cool for a couple of minutes before serving.