One of the cardinal rules of good potato au gratin is it cannot be dry. The cheesy cream sauce needs to ooze out. Not “run” out all over the plate in a big wet mess, but just slowly oooooze out. Here is the classic Creamy Potatoes Au Gratin at its best.
I don’t think I’ve ever met a person who doesn’t like potatoes. I’ve met plenty of picky eaters, but even the pickiest will eat potatoes in one form or the other. However they’re prepared, they’re the perfect comfort food. And combined with cream and cheese they’re simply heavenly.
Au Gratin potatoes, or potatoes au gratin – however you wish to call them – make such a wonderful, versatile side dish that can be served with just about anything. And of course it’s practically a staple at the holiday dinner table.
And speaking of casserole side dish staples, don’t forget to try my Ultimate Green Bean Casserole made from scratch. A perfectly creamy sauce with bacon, mushrooms, white cheddar and more. It’s out of this world! Now you have two of the most classic side dish casseroles at their best to make your holidays – or any occasion – shine.
Let’s get started!
Dice the onions, mince the garlic, and thinly slice the potatoes. You can slice the potatoes by hand or you can use a kitchen mandolin to do the slicing. It makes the job faster and easier and ensures they’re sliced the same width. THIS ONE is the same one I bought in Germany and took back to the States with me – I love it. It’s also Cook’s Illustrated’s “Top Choice”.
THIS ONE is currently less than half the cost and will also do the job just fine as well.
Heat the butter in a stock pot over medium-high heat, add the flour and whisk until smooth. Continue simmering and continually whisking the mixture for two minutes.
Add the milk, cream and salt and whisk until the mixture is smooth. Bring to a low simmer and continue whisking until the sauce is thickened.
Whisk in the cheese until it’s melted.
Add the onions and garlic.
Stir in the potatoes.
Pour the mixture into a 2 quart casserole dish.
Cover with aluminum foil and bake in an oven preheated to 350 degrees F for about 1 hour or until the potatoes are tender (time can vary depending on thickly the potatoes are sliced).
Uncover and bake for another 20 minutes or until the top is lightly browned. Let sit for about 5 minutes before serving.
Dish up those deliciously cheesy, creamy oooooozing au gratin potatoes and enjoy!
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE? PLEASE LEAVE A STAR RATING IN THE COMMENTS BELOW!
Perfectly Creamy Au Gratin Potatoes
- 2 pounds potatoes thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese divided in half
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt the butter in a stock pot over medium-high heat. Add the flour and whisk until smooth. Simmer, whisking constantly, for 2 minutes. Add the onions and garlic and stir to combine. Add the milk, cream and salt and whisk until smooth. Bring to a simmer and whisk until thickened. Whisk in the Cheddar and half of the Parmesan cheese. Whisk until melted. Stir in the potatoes.
- Pour the potato mixture into a 2 quart casserole dish. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour or until the potatoes are soft. Remove foil and bake for another 20 minutes or until the top is lightly browned. Let sit for 5 minutes before serving.