These white chocolate, cranberry, pistachio cookies feature the three traditional Christmas colors all wrapped into one incredibly delicious bite! The cranberries can also be substituted with dried cherries for a delicious variation.
White chocolate, cranberry and pistachio cookies…..the three traditional Christmas colors wrapped into one incredibly delicious bite! These buttery cookies feature white chocolate, sweet-tart cranberries, and slightly salty pistachio nuts. The flavors work together beautifully to bring you a delightful holiday treat that is a must-add to your Christmas “to bake” list. (Or use dried cherries in the “off season”).
I published this recipe back in 2013, the year I started this blog. That Christmas I was working on developing a cookie that captured the fun, flavor, and colors of the Christmas holiday. At the time my 3 year old asked if we could make some popcorn, and as I reached into the cupboard for the popcorn kernels I noticed a bag of pistachios. Their vibrant green color stood out to me and within a minute I had my Christmasy cookie conceptualized. And so my kids and I ate some popcorn while I whipped up a batch of these White Chocolate Cranberry Pistachio Cookies.
They were the first thing my husband noticed when he came home. Todd claims he doesn’t have much of a sweet tooth. But he’ll gobble up ice cream, Reese’s Pieces, pies, brownies, and cookies, to name a few. Kind of like, “I don’t really crave sweets…except for this and that…and that…and this…..” Yes dear, whatever you say, LOL :)
And so I made a batch of these cookies and no sooner did I exit the kitchen and walk back in again than several cookies were mysteriously missing. And then of course came that all-to-predictable comment, “Now you know I don’t really crave sweets…but these you can make any time!” I just smiled.
These cookies have gone viral over the years and have remained both a reader and a family favorite ever since that December back in 2013.
White Chocolate Cranberry Pistachio Cookies Recipe
Let’s get started!
First cream the softened butter and the sugars. Beat for several minutes until fluffy and pale – this step is important to achieving the perfect texture.
Add the egg and vanilla extract.
In a separate bowl sift the flour and baking soda. If you’re using unsalted pistachios, add 1/4 teaspoon salt.
Using a wooden spoon, carefully stir the flour mixture into the butter mixture, just until combined.
Stir in the white chocolate chips, dried cranberries (or cherries) and pistachio nuts.
Drop heaping spoonfuls of the batter onto the greased cookie sheet.
Bake the cookies for 8-10 minutes or until they just begin to turn golden around the edges. Allow the cookies to cool for 2 minutes on the cookie sheet before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
For more delicious Christmas goodies be sure to try our:
- Kokosmakronen (German Coconut Macaroons)
- Zimtsterne(German Cinnamon Star Cookies)
- Vanillekipferl (Austrian Vanilla Crescent Cookies)
- Christmas Pudding (Figgy Pudding)
- Pfeffernüsse (German Iced Spiced Cookies)
- Mince Pies (English Mincemeat Pie)
- Lebkuchen (Nürnberger Elisenlebkuchen)
- Stollen (German Christmas Bread)
- Panettone (Italian Christmas Bread)
- Springerle (German Embossed Cookies)
- Printen (Aachener Gingerbread)
- Pandoro (Verona Christmas Bread)
- Speculoos (Gingerbread Shortcrust Cookies)
- Bethmännchen (Marzipan Cookies)
- Heidesand (Browned Butter Shortbread Cookies)
- Marzipan (or Almond Paste)
White Chocolate Cranberry Pistachio Cookies
- ½ cup unsalted butter , softened at room temperature
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon quality pure vanilla extract
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda (note: the video mistakenly says baking powder)
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- ½ cup chopped shelled pistachio nuts
- 1 cup dried cranberries (or dried cherries)
- Note: If using unsalted nuts add 1/4 teaspoon salt to the flour
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Grease a cookie sheet.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the butter and sugars. Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugars until fluffy and pale in color, 3-5 minutes. This step is important for ensuring soft, chewy cookies. Beat in the egg and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour and baking soda. Using a wooden spoon, carefully stir the flour mixture into the butter mixture, just until combined. Stir in the white chocolate chips, dried cranberries and pistachio nuts.
- Drop heaping spoonfuls of the batter onto the greased cookie sheet.
- Bake the cookies for 8-10 minutes or until they just begin to turn golden around the edges. Allow the cookies to cool for 2 minutes on the cookie sheet before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Originally published on The Daring Gourmet December 13, 2013