This homemade Creole Seasoning tastes WAY better than store-bought, is super quick to make, and contains no preservatives or fillers! Deliciously versatile, use it to season anything that needs a boost in FLAVOR!
Absolutely nothing beats homemade spice blends! Whether you’re making your own Garam Masala, Chinese Five Spice, Mixed Spice, Berbere, Panch Phoron, or Greek Seasoning, store-bought simply can’t compare with the freshness, vibrancy and incredible potency of homemade! This Creole Seasoning recipe is another example of a homemade spice blend you’ll want to make yourself and keep on hand to add life and flavor to a wide variety of foods!
What’s the Difference Between Creole and Cajun Seasoning?
Cajun seasoning focuses primarily on a variety of ground peppers (white, black and red).
Creole seasoning commonly contains those as well but also features herbs like thyme, basil and oregano.
Our homemade seasoning blend includes garlic, onion, paprika, cayenne, thyme, oregano, basil, salt, pepper and some smoked pepper for that fabulous smoky element. This seasoning blend is a total flavor explosion!
While Creole and Cajun seasoning are different, their commonalities are such that you can substitute one for the other in a pinch. So you can use this spice blend for anything that calls for Creole or Cajun seasoning.
But don’t limit yourself: This phenomenal spice blend is incredibly versatile!
How To Use Creole Seasoning
This is such a versatile seasoning blend that it’s destined to hold a regular spot in your spice cabinet. Here are a few additional ideas to get you started:
- Shrimp, Crawfish or Crab Boil
- Seasoned Rice
- Pasta Salads
- Potato Salads
- Sprinkled on French Fries and Potatoes
- Dry Rub
- Grilled Meats, Poultry and Seafood
- Whisked into your Vinaigrette for a Zesty Dressing
- …and on anything else that needs a flavor boost!
How To Make Creole Seasoning
Simply put all of the ingredients in a spice or coffee grinder (I’ve been using my KRUPS coffee/spice grinder for over 10 years and it’s still going strong) or put them in a blender.
Pulse until you get a smooth powder.
Keep your spice blend in an airtight jar in your cupboard. For optimal flavor use within a couple of months.
Try this spice blend in our classic New Orleans Grillades and Grits!
This seasoning blend is also featured in our Easy Jambalaya!
And try it in our Authentic New Orleans Jambalaya!
Homemade Creole Seasoning
- 4 teaspoons garlic powder
- 4 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper (or less if you don't want it as hot)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Place all of the spices in a spice of coffee grinder or a blender. Pulse until you get a fine powder. Store in an airtight jar in a dark cupboard until ready to use. For optimal flavor use within 2 months. Makes about 1/2 cup.