Who doesn’t enjoy sticky, gooey, finger-lickin’ barbecued chicken? The aroma of this Sweet n’ Tangy Barbecued Chicken will waft through the air as it’s cooking and inform your neighbors that “Dinner’s Ready!” Just be sure to make extra for the unexpected guests.
Nothing beats the flavor of charcoal-grilled meats. However, as an alternative this chicken can be cooked on your stovetop in a cast-iron grill pan. That way you can still enjoy the grill marks. After all, appearance makes a difference in the overall enjoyment, right?
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1¼ cup ketchup
- ¾ cup orange marmalade
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Hot sauce, according to taste
- 2 whole chickens cut into serving pieces, or 4 lbs of a variety of bone-in chicken pieces
- For the sauce:
- Heat the oil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until caramelized to golden, about 6-7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the ketchup, marmalade, lemon juice, mustard, and salt, stirring to combine. Bring the sauce to a simmer and reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer, stirring regularly, for 20 minutes. Season with hot sauce according to taste.
- Prepare a charcoal fire with the coals heaped in the center of the grill.
- Lightly oil the grill rack. Arrange the chicken, skin side down, around the perimeter of the grill rack. Do not place the chicken directly over the coals. Cover the grill. Cook for 35 minutes, turning the chicken over once. Generously brush the chicken with the sauce and turn again. Cover and cook for another 10 minutes. Generously brush the chicken again, then cover and cook until no traces of pink remain when the thickest parts of the chicken are cut, about another 10 minutes.