This dip also goes by the name “Million Dollar Dip” because that’s how many people feel about it. And we couldn’t agree more – this Neiman Marcus dip recipe is beyond deeeelicious!
I was craving a savory, cheesy snack the other day. I opened the fridge and noticed some bacon along with a block of cheddar and a wedge of Jarlsberg. I had also just made some homemade baguettes and suddenly an idea was formulating. With that combination I went to work whipping up a spread to put on slices of crispy baguette. Next thing I knew I had a bacon, cheddar and Jarlsberg spread with mayo and green onions. I spread it on my pieces of baguette and WOW was it gooood!
Little did I know there’s actually a name for this spread: With the addition of sliced almonds you have what’s called Neiman Marcus Dip. I had never heard of this dip before (how have I lived this many years in ignorance??) and boy was I missing out!
What is Neiman Marcus Dip?
This dip was created by New York native Helen Corbitt who served as Director of Food Services at Neiman Marcus’ flagship Zodiac Restaurant in Dallas, Texas. She created it for the restaurant in the 1950’s, it was later published in her cookbook, and it has remained a popular classic ever since and a sure hit at every party.
For added crunchiness we’re using fresh bacon (instead of store-bought real bacon bits) that we dice and fry until crispy. We’re also toasting the almonds for more crunch and flavor.
This dip is traditionally made with cheddar which we’re including, but we’re also adding some mild Swiss cheese (Jarlsberg) for an added flavor dimension we’re sure you’ll love. We’re also adding a dash of freshly ground black pepper and some onion powder to round out the flavors.
This dip also goes by the name “Million Dollar Dip” because that’s how many people feel about it. And we couldn’t agree more!
Neiman Marcus Dip Recipe
Let’s get started!
Place all of the ingredients in a bowl and stir until combined.
Let the spread chill for at least 2 hours before serving to let the flavors develop. Let the dip sit at room temperature for 15-20 minutes before serving.
Serve with crackers, corn chips, slices of crispy bread, or veggies.
For more delicious snacks and hors d’oeuvres be sure to try our:
- Baba Ganoush
- Fried Okra
- Spanish Deviled Eggs
- Bacon, Blue Cheese, and Cranberry Cheese Ball with Pecans
- Candied Bacon
- Pistachio Lemon Cheese Balls
- Chicken Liver Pate
- Smoked Salmon Spread
- Pork Rillettes
- Boiled Peanuts
Neiman Marcus Dip (Almond Bacon Cheese Spread)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded mild Swiss cheese (e.g. Jarlsberg)
- 8 strips bacon ,diced, fried until crispy and drained
- 1/3 cup sliced or slivered almonds ,toasted in the oven then cooled
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (e.g. Tabasco), optional for a touch of heat
- Place all of the ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir until combined. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving to let the flavors develop. Let the dip sit at room temperature for 15-20 minutes before serving.
- Serve with crackers, corn chips, slices of crispy bread, or veggies.
Originally published on The Daring Gourmet May 7, 2018