A delicious autumn twist on a beloved American classic, this Pumpkin Sausage Gravy recipe served over fluffy homemade biscuits is sure to be a hit!
Sausage Gravy and Biscuits has been an American breakfast staple for generations and it’s some of the best comfort food out there. We’re fans of it in my family, so much so that this is the third version I’ve developed. First it was my take on traditional Southern-style Sausage Gravy and Biscuits followed by my Vegetarian Sausage Gravy and Biscuits. And now I’m bringing you a fun and delicious autumn twist on this beloved classic: Pumpkin Sausage Gravy!
If you’re a fan of sausage gravy and biscuits and like pumpkin I can almost guarantee you’re going to enjoy this. It has all the original flavors you know and love but with some delicious new additions.
This recipe was more or less borne of necessity. A few years ago we grew our own pumpkins for the first time, both jack o’lanterns for Halloween and sugar pumpkins for cooking, and wow we had quite the harvest! I was busy finding all kinds of creative ways to use up our pumpkins. As they say, necessity is the mother on invention and thus was born this pumpkin sausage gravy and we’ve been enjoying this delicious version every autumn ever since.
For the very best homemade biscuits recipe with the most incredible fluffy texture we recommend our BEST EVER Buttermilk Biscuits.
Or for a whole grain version try our Spelt Buttermilk Biscuits (can also use regular whole wheat).
This dish can be made in advance and gently reheated on the stovetop. It’s easy to make and we’re confident you’re going to love the results!
Pumpkin Sausage Gravy Recipe
Let’s get started!
Crumble the sausage into the frying pan and brown until no longer pink.
Add the onions and garlic and cook until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
Add the pumpkin and cook for another 5 minutes.
Add the flour and bacon grease (or butter if using) and stir until incorporated. Cook for 2 minutes.
NOTE: For the very BEST flavor we strongly recommend using the bacon grease – it’s simply phenomenal!
Add the milk and stir constantly to prevent lumps. Bring to a simmer until thickened, 2-3 minutes.
Finely chop the thyme and sage. If at all possible use fresh herbs, they make a huge difference.
Add the herbs, salt, pepper, chicken bouillon and pumpkin puree and stir to combine. Bring to a simmer, reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Spoon over freshly baked biscuits and serve immediately.
Pumpkin Sausage Gravy and Biscuits
- 16 ounces bulk Italian sausage (click link for the BEST homemade sausage recipe!)
- 1 small yellow onion finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 1/2 cups diced fresh pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons bacon grease highly recommended for optimal flavor but can substitute butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups whole milk or combination of half-and-half
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules or small bouillon cube
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- BEST Old Fashioned Buttermilk Biscuits (click link for recipe)
- Whole Grain Buttermilk Biscuits (click link for recipe)
- Crumble the bacon into a large skillet and brown until no pink remains. Add the onions and garlic and cook until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the diced pumpkin and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the bacon grease and flour and stir until incorporated. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the milk, stirring constantly to prevent lumps. Simmer for 2-3 minutes until thickened.
- Stir in the pumpkin puree, herbs, salt, pepper and chicken bouillon. Return to a simmer, reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon over freshly baked biscuits and serve immediately garnished with some fresh thyme.
First published on The Daring Gourmet Nov. 29, 2015
Can’t find biscuit recioe
Michelle @ Blackberry Babe says
This is awesome! What a creative way to make good ole’ B&G! :)
Annie @ Annie's Noms says
What a fabulous way to use pumpkin! I’ve never thought to use it in sausage gravy, but imagine it’s so wonderful!
Nutmeg Nanny says
I love sausage and gravy but have never thought to make it with pumpkin! This is a total game change…I need it!
Kim Beaulieu says
I love this fun spin on biscuits and gravy. It’s such a cool recipe. I know my hubby would go crazy for this one.
Michelle @ The Complete Savorist says
What a great way to up the nutritional value in a deliciously decadent dish like biscuits and gravy.
Renee - Kudos Kitchen says
I’m a HUGE fan of sausage gravy and biscuits and I also love pumpkin and sage. This is a fabulous idea that I need to make ASAP! You’ve made my stomach growl this morning.
Laura | Petite Allergy Treats says
I love pumpkin in just about anything and works great with biscuits and gravy!
Dani @ The Adventure Bite says
This sounds so delicious! We eat pumpkin in our curries all the time but I’ve never thought of putting it in biscuits and gravy! Great idea!
Heather | All Roads Lead to the Kitchen says
I do love biscuits and gravy, and really I never would have thought to use pumpkin it it – but it looks delicious! And a big yes to using bacon grease for flavor. Aaaaaand, now I’m hungry.
Paula - bell'alimento says
I’m currently trying to figure out how I can have someone make this for me for breakfast ; ) Swoon.
Mariah @ Mariah's Pleasing Plates says
I LOVE that you added pumpkin to your biscuits and gravy! What a great idea!