A thoroughly delicious and fuss-free beef stroganoff for your slow cooker! Full of flavor with a creamy sauce you can enjoy over egg noodles or rice, this is a guaranteed family favorite!
I’ve always been a fan of rich and creamy sauces and beef stroganoff is a prime example. Whether it’s a more labor intensive gourmet version (recipe to come!) or a simple but thoroughly delicious version for the crock pot, I love a good stroganoff. With it’s robust flavors of beef and mustard combined with the delicate flavors of cream and herbs, it’s a dish I always look forward to sitting down to and makes for the perfect comfort food.
I threw this together this past Sunday morning before we headed out to church so it would be ready when we got home. When we opened the door we were met with that delicious aroma and I could hardly wait to get the noodles boiled so we could sit down and enjoy our family dinner.
For an extra creamy stroganoff, add some more cream cheese and sour cream and adjust the salt and pepper accordingly. Whether you “up” the creaminess or make it as written, you’re going to love the flavor of this Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff!
If you don’t already own a slow cooker, you should really consider getting one. They make life much easier for those busy days when the last thing you want to do after a long day is come home and cook. Instead, you can come home to a ready meal. The slow cooker I use and love is this Stay Or Go 7 Quart Slow Cooker. It’s portable if you need to take it to a potluck and it’s also big. I got this large one because I can still use it for smaller quantities but I can also use it if I’m expecting extra guests.
Let’s get started!
Use whatever beef you can find the best deal on, including the cheap cuts. The slow cooking process will tenderize even the toughest cuts so the result is deliciously fork-tender beef. Slice the beet into short, thin strips. (That’s a personal preference – I don’t like chunky beef cubes for stroganoff, I reserve those for stews.)
Clean and slice the mushrooms.
Chop the onions and mince the garlic.
Place the ingredients in the slow cooker in the following order: Onions/garlic, mushrooms, beef.
In a bowl, stir together the broth, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, thyme, salt and pepper. Pour the mixture over the beef.
Cook on LOW for 7-8 hours or on HIGH for 4-5 hours. About 20 minutes before done, dissolve 2 tablespoons cornstarch in 1/2 cup broth and add it to the slow cooker. Stir and continue to cook for another 20 minutes or until thickened.
Stir in the cream cheese until dissolved.
Stir in the sour cream and chopped fresh parsley and heat through.
Add salt and pepper to taste and add a little more mustard if desired.
Serve over hot egg noodles. Enjoy!
Vegetarian? Try this delicious Creamy Mushroom & Tofu Stroganoff! It’s so good, even meat-eaters will love it!
Make your life easier and tastier with this delicious Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff!
- 2 pounds beef either stewing meat like chuck or sirloin steak, cut into short thin strips
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 10 ounces button or cremini mushrooms cleaned and sliced
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch dissolved in 1/2 cup beef broth
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Layer the ingredients in the slow cooker in the following order: Onions/garlic, mushrooms and beef.
- In a small bowl, combine the broth, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper and thyme. Pour over the beef in the slow cooker. Cook on LOW for 7-8 hours or on HIGH for 4-5 hours.
- About 20 minutes before it's done, add the beef broth/cornstarch mixture to the slow cooker and stir to combine. Cook until thickened.
- Stir in the cream cheese until dissolved. Stir in the sour cream and chopped fresh parsley and heat through. Add salt, pepper and mustard to taste.
- Serve over hot egg noodles.