This Strawberry Poppy Seed Dressing recipe is sure to become part of your salad dressing rotation. It adds a burst of fresh, summer flavor to your salads along with a pretty pink hue. It’s easy to make and keeps for up to a week.
Bring the fresh flavor of summer to your favorite salads! This homemade Strawberry Poppy Seed Salad Dressing has a delightfully creamy texture without the addition of dairy or mayonnaise. Its blend of flavors is a real treat for the taste buds and is also a visually beautiful addition to your table spread.
For the most part I like to use olive oil for my salad dressings because I adore olive oil, but I recognize that it can be an acquired taste for those not accustomed to its pronounced flavor. Other great salad oil alternatives that impart a pleasant but more neutral flavor include sunflower oil and safflower oil.
Choose a good red wine vinegar. Colavita red wine vinegar is a good one or if you want to splurge on the French imported stuff try Pommery red wine vinegar.
How to Use Strawberry Poppy Seed Dressing
This dressing is perfect for leafy green salads of all kinds, including spinach salads and kale salads, but you can even drizzle it over grilled chicken, pork, and grilled vegetables!
Strawberry Poppy Seed Dressing Recipe
This salad dressing quick and easy to make.
- In a blender add the strawberries, shallot, oil, vinegar, honey, mustard, salt, and pepper and blend everything until smooth. Give it a taste and decide if you’d like to add some more salt or honey.
- With the blender still running, slowly pour in the oil in until the dressing is emulsified. The texture will be smooth and creamy. If you prefer a thinner consistency you can add a tiny bit of water while the blender is running. If you prefer a thicker consistency you can add a few more strawberries. Note that this dressing will thicken a little after it has chilled in the fridge.
- Turn off the blender and stir in the poppy seeds.
- Transfer your dressing to a jar with a lid and chill in the fridge for at least a couple of hours before serving.
This Strawberry Poppy Seed Salad Dressing will keep for up to a week. It has a tendency to separate after it’s been sitting for a while so just give it a few shakes before using.
For more delicious homemade salad dressings be sure to try our:
- Ranch Dressing
- Italian Dressing
- French Dressing
- Blue Cheese Dressing
- Asian Salad Dressing
- Orange Poppy Seed Dressing
- Creamy Cilantro Dressing
- Lemon Dill Mustard Dressing
Strawberry Poppy Seed Dressing
- 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh strawberries
- 1 medium shallot
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil , or sunflower oil for a more neutral flavor
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- In a blender add the strawberries, shallot, vinegar, honey, mustard, salt, and pepper and blend until smooth. Taste and add more salt or honey if desired. With the blender still running, slowly pour in the oil in until the dressing is emulsified. Turn off the blender and stir in the poppy seeds. Transfer to a jar with a lid and chill in the fridge for at least a couple of hours before serving. Will keep for up to a week. The dressing will separate; shake before using.
It’s a Me Mario says
In the instructions it says both “in a blender add the […] oil […] and blend until smooth.” And then “With the blender still running, slowly pour in the oil in until the dressing is emulsified.”
Are we dividing the oil?
Kimberly Killebrew says
Hi Mario, sorry for the confusion. The oil is added second, after the initial ingredients are blended until smooth.