Smoky, sweet, zesty and savory, this homemade BBQ sauce recipe is the ultimate! Ready in 15 minutes with the perfect balance of flavors, you’ll find yourself reaching for this sauce every opportunity you can get! Rich and bold, it’s just what you need for your backyard barbecue!
A great BBQ sauce is indispensable for any backyard cookout. And have I got a terrific sauce for you!
This homemade barbecue sauce recipe combines a variety of ingredients and spices to achieve the perfect balance of flavors: Sweet, tangy, zesty, spicy, savory, smoky…this sauce has it all! Rich and bold, it’s always a hit with our friends and family!
How to Use BBQ Sauce
Use this in any recipe calling for barbecue sauce. It’s delicious slathered on burgers, grilled chicken, pork, ribs, beef and used for your pulled pork.
It also makes a great dip for your sweet potato fries and chicken tenders. Alternatively you combine it with our homemade Ranch dressing for a delicious dip variation.
How Long Does Homemade BBQ Sauce Keep?
This will keep for 2-3 weeks in a sealed non-reactive container in the fridge. It also freezes well for up to several months.
Homemade BBQ Sauce Recipe
Let’s get started!
Stir all of the ingredients together.
Bring the sauce to a boil in a medium saucepan. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
If you prefer the sauce thinner, stir in a little water. If you prefer it thicker, let it simmer for a few more minutes.
Let the sauce cool completely and then store it in a sealed non-reactive container in the fridge.
You can use it immediately or, for best results, let it chill overnight to give the flavors time to meld.
For more delicious homemade condiments be sure to try our:
- Cherry Barbecue Sauce
- Big Mac Sauce
- Tartar Sauce
- Yum Yum Sauce
- Sweet Chili Sauce
- Curry Ketchup
- Sweet and Sour Sauce
- Hoisin Sauce
- Romesco Sauce
- Teriyaki Sauce
- Aji Verde Sauce
- Ponzu Sauce
Ultimate BBQ Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup (I use and recommend one without high fructose corn syrup)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons molasses
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons prepared yellow mustard
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke (optional but recommended)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional for heat)
- water as needed for thinning
- Place all the ingredients in a medium saucepan and stir together. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes. If you prefer the sauce thinner, stir in a little water. If you prefer it thicker, let it simmer a little longer. Let the sauce cool completely before storing in the fridge.This BBQ sauce can be eaten right away but for best results let it chill overnight to allow time for the flavors to meld.Store it in the fridge in sealed non-reactive container where it will keep for 2-3 weeks.Makes about 2 1/2 cups.