This Crunchy Broccoli Salad combines a variety of crunchy vegetables along with sweet raisins, dried cranberries, salty sunflower seeds, and a delicious creamy cider coleslaw dressing. Whether enjoying as a side dish for dinner or a healthy lunch, this salad’s a winner!
A while ago I published a recipe for Curried Couscous Salad. This broccoli salad has a similar story. It was inspired by a salad I tried from the deli of a grocery store. I enjoyed it enough that I brought some extra home to me to develop a copycat version. I haven’t been able to stop eating it since. I’m not kidding. I made this batch and then made a TRIPLE batch of it a few days later! And I’m still not tired of it! Yes, it’s that good. I’ve been trying to shed a couple of pounds I put on through some recent naughty indulgences and this has been the perfect diet food. Just vegetables and seeds with only 2 tablespoons of honey for the entire batch.
But I had some competition. Believe it or not, my 2 year old daughter LOVES this stuff. Every time I dished up a bowl for me, she came and sat down beside me asking for more and more. She ate most of my serving each time. So now I know to dish up an extra bowl of it every time I have some.
I had my family sample the original deli version and my version without knowing which was which. The vote was unanimous: This one’s the clear the winner. Fresher, more flavorful, and without any of the nasty chemicals and ingredients that often go even into “healthy” store-bought foods.
This salad makes a wonderful side dish. Serve it with anything you would normally serve coleslaw with or any number of chicken dishes, just for example. It also makes a satisfying lunch as a larger serving.
Give it a try – you’ll love it!
Let’s get started!
Combine all the dressing ingredients together in a bowl or bottle and stir or shake until combined and the honey is completely dissolved. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Finely chop the broccoli. Yes, you can use a food processor for chopping all the veggies. I just like to chop it by hand – it’s therapeutic.
Finely dice the celery and carrot.
Finely dice the red onion.
Measure out the raisins, dried cranberries, and toasted sunflower seeds.
Place all the salad ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir to combine.
Pour the dressing over it and stir to combine.
Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving, stirring once or twice.
Enjoy! This salad will keep in the refrigerator for at least 3 days.
Crunchy Broccoli Salad
- 6 cups finely chopped broccoli florets and stems (about 2 large broccoli crowns)
- 1/2 cup finely diced celery
- 1/2 cup finely diced carrot
- 1/3 cup finely diced red onion
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup toasted sunflower seed kernels
- For the Cider Coleslaw Dressing:
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon DIjon mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Combine the ingredients for the dressing in a bottle and shake to combine until the honey is completely dissolved. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Combine all the salad ingredients in a large bowl, pour the dressing over, and stir to combine. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving, stirring once or twice.