Vibrantly tangy and refreshing, this Preserved Lemon Cilantro Yogurt Sauce is fantastic served with your grilled meats, kebabs, gyros, falafel, burgers, wraps, and more!
Here’s a refreshing, versatile sauce that is quick and easy to make. The star of the show in this yogurt sauce is the preserved lemon. I like to think of preserved lemons as lemons on steroids – they are an absolute powerhouse of lemon flavor but without the sourness. Fresh lemons have a completely different flavor profile, so don’t substitute.
Preserved lemons are so easy to make and once you’ve made and tried them you’ll be so happy you did. Check out my tutorial for How To Make Preserved Lemons. Note, it will take at least 3 weeks before they’re done, so plan ahead!
How to Use Preserved Lemon Cilantro Yogurt Sauce
Use this sauce when you want to cut through some of the heat or richness and create a refreshing contrast. Here are just a few ways you can use this preserved lemon yogurt sauce:
- Grilled meats, chicken and seafood.
- Grilled vegetables – try this on our Grilled Eggplant.
- Burgers – for a fabulous veggie variation be sure to try our Moroccan Veggie Burgers.
- Gyros – use this in place of the traditional tzatziki sauce.
- Sandwiches and wraps
- As a salad dressing
- As a dip
Preserved Lemon Cilantro Yogurt Sauce Recipe
Be sure do discard the pulp of the preserved lemons and thoroughly rinse the peel to remove the excess salt. Then finely dice it. For the best flavor and texture I recommend using full fat Greek yogurt.
Place the yogurt in a bowl along with the diced preserved lemon, chopped cilantro, preserved lemon juice, salt and sugar and stir to combine. and combine all ingredients in a medium bowl. If you prefer the consistency a little thinner, add a little more of the preserved lemon juice. If you prefer slightly less tang, add another pinch of sugar.
Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving to give the flavors time to meld.
Keep the yogurt sauce stored in an airtight non-reactive container in the refrigerator and use it within 3-4 days.
For more delicious homemade condiments from around the world be sure to try our:
- Romesco Sauce
- Big Mac Sauce
- Ponzu Sauce
- Tartar Sauce
- Teriyaki Sauce
- Sweet Chili Sauce
- Sweet and Sour Sauce
- Hoisin Sauce
- Black Bean Sauce
- Yum Yum Sauce
- Eel Sauce
- Curry Ketchup
- Kecap Manis
Preserved Lemon Cilantro Yogurt Sauce
- 3/4 cup plain full-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 preserved lemon , pulp discarded, peel thoroughly rinsed and finely minced
- 2 teaspoons preserved lemon juice from jar
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon sugar
- Combine all the ingredients in a medium bowl. If you prefer the consistency a little thinner, add a little more of the preserved lemon juice. If you prefer slightly less tang, add another pinch of sugar. Refrigerate for at least one hour before using. Store in the fridge in a non-reactive container or jar. Will keep for 3-4 days.Makes about 1 cup.
Originally published on The Daring Gourmet July 10, 2014