This Deli Style Broccoli Salad recipe combines a variety of crispy veggies along with sweet raisins, dried cranberries, salty sunflower seeds, and is tossed with a delicious creamy cider coleslaw dressing. Whether enjoying it as a side dish or as a healthy lunch, this salad is a winner!
Several years ago I stopped by a local deli and was scanning over their selection of salads when the broccoli salad caught my eye. I love broccoli salads but this one was particularly good and was different from most. Whereas most broccoli salads tend to be fairly basic and very mayonnaise heavy, this one had a more interesting combination of ingredients and a far more flavorful dressing. So I took some extra salad home with me so I could try and replicate it. My copycat version was a success and has remained a family favorite ever since. And whether I bring it to potlucks, backyard bbq’s, or picnics, I always get requests for the recipe.
Something you may notice is that, unlike many broccoli salad recipes, this does not have any bacon in it. No, I didn’t intentionally make this a vegetarian broccoli salad or a vegan broccoli salad, it just happens to be that. Now trust me when I say this: I LOVE BACON. LOVE it. But this salad honestly and truly does not need it. Gasp, I said it! Nor does it need cheese. No, this broccoli salad is absolutely amazing without either. Yep, fewer calories, less fat, and absolutely a-mazing. Give it a try and see if you’re not convinced!
What to Serve With Broccoli Salad
This broccoli salad is a versatile dish that pairs well with a variety of main dishes. Here are few ideas:
- Grilled Chicken or Chicken Skewers: The freshness and crunch of this salad complements the tender texture and smokiness of of the grilled chicken.
- Roasted Salmon: The combination of this nutritious crunchy salad with tender, flaky salmon creates a well-balanced meal.
- BBQ Ribs: A fabulous side to bring to that backyard BBQ, this cool, crisp salad provides a refreshing contrast to the smoky flavor of the ribs.
- Burgers and Hot Dogs: Hold the coleslaw and serve this salad with your burgers and dogs instead.
- Quiche: Whether it’s a vegetable quiche or quiche Lorraine, this crunchy salad makes a terrific accompaniment to your creamy quiche.
- Sandwiches: Serve this salad with your sandwiches or wraps for a perfectly satisfying meal.
- Grilled Steak or Pork Chops: The vibrant salad provides a refreshing contrast to the robust flavors of steak and chops.
- Soup: Serve this salad with a bowl of hot soup for a complete and comforting meal.
For a light lunch, I enjoy eating this broccoli salad all by its delicious self.
How Can I Make a Vegan Broccoli Salad?
Easy peasy! Simply substitute the honey for a liquid sweetener of your choice such as agave syrup.
Can I Make Broccoli Salad in Advance?
Yes! In fact, I recommend making it the day before because it’s even better after the flavors have had time to meld.
Broccoli Salad Recipe
Let’s get started!
Combine the ingredients for the dressing in a bowl and stir until combined or place the ingredients in a bottle and shake until combined. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Place all of the veggies, dried fruits and sunflower seeds in a large bowl and stir to combine.
Pour the salad dressing over the salad and stir to combine.
Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving, preferably longer, stirring once or twice to redistribute the dressing.
This salad will keep in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
For more delicious salads be sure to try our:
- Classic Potato Salad
- Chicken Salad
- Macaroni Salad
- Thai Quinoa Salad
- Freezer Slaw
- Pea Salad
- German Cucumber Salad
- Waldorf Salad
- Moroccan Chicken Salad
- Pepperoni Pizza Pasta Salad
- Sauerkraut Salad
- Coronation Chicken
- Broccoli Pasta Salad
Crunchy Broccoli Salad
- 6 cups finely chopped broccoli florets and stems (about 2 large broccoli crowns)
- 1/2 cup finely diced celery
- 1/2 cup finely diced carrot
- 1/3 cup finely diced red onion
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup toasted sunflower seed kernels
- For the Cider Coleslaw Dressing:
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2-3 tablespoons honey (vegan: use agave syrup)
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Combine the ingredients for the dressing in a bottle and shake to combine until the honey is completely dissolved. Refrigerate until ready to use.Combine all the salad ingredients in a large bowl, pour the dressing over, and stir to combine. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving, preferably longer, stirring once or twice to redistribute the dressing.Will keep in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
Originally published on The Daring Gourmet September 16, 2014